Building concrete wall for lean to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are going to build a lean to shed in concrete blocks .The shed will be 3metres long and 1.8metres wide with a door at each end in upvc.(to the side of our house)
The 3 metre wall will be about 2 metres high all around and the roof will be upvc with polycarbonate sheets 16mm thick .
My question is how deep should we dig the foundations and how wide for the footings and do the concrete blocks for the wall need to be tied together with wall ties? How deep should the concrete be for the footings? and do we need rebar's and if so how many ,the soil is clay.The house footings are only about 2.5 feet deep but we want to dig deeper if nessessary?
Thanks .

Sponsored Links
I contacted the local council planning about this lean to shed and asked if it needed Building regs.got answer as follows...

Some buildings are exempt from building regs. It is not entirely clear where to put this one.If we deem it as an extension,you would be expected to submit and application.The fee would be £462.00
However it could be deemed as a covered walkway.In which case this would be exempt from the Requirements of Regulations and an application would not be required.
Whilst we are happy to take and application for this work,if you should decide to deem it as an exempt building ,we would support this view,if as described in your email.
Hope the above advise is clear.

I do not know what to do now ,,,if I replaced the current lean to with wood sides as it is now no worries about the footings at all.

Personally I reckon a nice designed wooden structure looks nicer.

Sponsored Links
Personally I reckon a nice designed wooden structure looks nicer.

We had wooden structure but it needs constant maintenance...

I would like well built strong structure that needs no maintenance like painting.
Lot more expensive building it in concrete with upvc doors and proper footings etc..
Our neigbour built similar structure but uses it for shower/utility and has door in to it from the kitchen ..all without any permission with solid roof ...

I think you should consider 2 options for foundations..
1/ Shallow raft footing for whole area including door and walkway.. with edge deepening for walls.. i think pavingexpert has some half decent details..
Do not tie into existing walls but allow the lean-to to move independant.. and in your clay it will.. alot..
or
2/ Footings to match existing.. tie into foundations and walls.. go for full BRegs application..

I think you should consider 2 options for foundations..
1/ Shallow raft footing for whole area including door and walkway.. with edge deepening for walls.. i think pavingexpert has some half decent details..
Do not tie into existing walls but allow the lean-to to move independant.. and in your clay it will.. alot..
or
2/ Footings to match existing.. tie into foundations and walls.. go for full BRegs application..

I e mailed the building control to ask what the fee for building reg. is for this work and got the above answer .ie just replace the lean to or I would need full planning permission. The lean to would not form part of living accommodation and can only be accessed from outside ,the present shed is rickety and rotten ,its made of wood .

We want to dig footings 500/600 mm deep for the single skin concrete walls and the doorways just 300 mm about .The base will be concrete with damp proof membrane .The doors will be attached to house wall .
I would like building regs and happy to pay for it but not happy to get full planning .Do not know what to do now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back