Building Contractor - what qualifications and insurance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First post and I'm hoping you guys can answer my question.

I'm having an extension built and have a building contractor who was recommended by a friend, and that I already know from my gym. I've seen pictures of his work, and am currently monitoring his progress on another job.

I like the guy, and I'm sure he'll do a great job.

My question is, since this job involves ripping the side off my house I want to ensure that he has the necessary formal qualifications and insurance required for the building trade (in the UK) but the problem is I don't know what I should be expecting him to have.

Can someone please advise?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards
John

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I don't think there is any formal qualifications fr you to check, pretty much anyone can set up a business in any of the trades.

If you're worried about insurance, just ask to see a copy of his public liabilty insurance, should really have it to cover upto to 2 million.

Rico

1. Get other written quotes;
2. Make sure they are quoting for exactly the same thing;
3. Get customer's references;
4. Check out if the contractor will be using his own employees or sub-contracting any part of the job;
5. If subcontractors are to be used, get a list and get independent references for all of them;
6. Make sure you see the public liability insurance for all contractors and check the date to make sure it is current;
7. Don't pay more than 10-15% deposit up front;
8. Do not pay for materials etc in advance;
9. Agree stage payments, e.g. after foundation; after walls are up etc;
10. Agree a retention, say 5%, which will be paid after all faults have been fixed.
11. If the contractor has a standard contract form he wants you to sign, read it very carefully and, if you are unhappy about anything, show it to your solicitor.

Good Luck ;)

Further thought

Check if they are registered with any of the trade federations or by the local Trading Standards or the Government's TrustMark Scheme

1. Get other written quotes;
2. Make sure they are quoting for exactly the same thing;
3. Get customer's references;
4. Check out if the contractor will be using his own employees or sub-contracting any part of the job;
5. If subcontractors are to be used, get a list and get independent references for all of them;
6. Make sure you see the public liability insurance for all contractors and check the date to make sure it is current;
7. Don't pay more than 10-15% deposit up front;
8. Do not pay for materials etc in advance;
9. Agree stage payments, e.g. after foundation; after walls are up etc;
10. Agree a retention, say 5%, which will be paid after all faults have been fixed.
11. If the contractor has a standard contract form he wants you to sign, read it very carefully and, if you are unhappy about anything, show it to your solicitor.

Good Luck ;)

Further thought

Check if they are registered with any of the trade federations or by the local Trading Standards or the Government's TrustMark Scheme
why shouldnt he pay upfront for materials builders build they are not finance companies and they are the first to lose out when a customer decides not to pay

Sponsored Links
If the builder is taking down half your house as you state, this work is structual. and should involve building control inspections from either your local building control officer , or a private sector one. this will not ensure a quality job is carried out. but will ensure it complies with current building standards.

Back