Kitchen Fitter - qualifications, insurance + other questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have been to 2 kitchen shops and 1 kitchen fitter and have provisionally agreed to go ahead with the fitter to source and install our kitchen for around £5000. Before we pay the deposit, I really appreciate any advice about what questions to ask by way of qualifications, insurance etc. to give us some comfort that he will do a good job and we won't have problems if things go wrong.

We've already chosen the cabinet design, worktop etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Generally they will get a gas man in to do the gas work for them, a spark in to do the electrics and most will even get a plasterer in to do any tidying that's required.

Best way is to get references from people they have previously done work for in my opinion.

Your fitter should have public liability insurance, at least an NVQ 2 in joinery. Probably the best way to find out if he's capable of a good job is to ask him if he can refer you to previous customers. Ask him, how long he has been installing kitchens. Ask him if he has any other qualifications. Some kitchen fitters also have electrical and gas qualifications.
And ask to see his qualifications (they should be checkable ) ;)

And try to make sure anyone he refers you to is not a mate/relative if possible.
Do not just look at photos of his work. Anything can be made to look good in a picture.You need to see actual jobs.

Sponsored Links
5K?
how much is the kitchen , this price could be good or bad depending on kitchen price.. no qualifications needed , apart from the work top kitchens are very simple to fit, have fitted my own without any issues at all took three days, not a hard job

No qualifications are needed, and insurance is for him not you. Recommendations or references will help, plus an indication of how long he has been trading.

Probably the best way to ensure that the job is done properly, is not to pay too much up front, and only pay the significant part of the price once the whole kitchen is installed and to your satisfaction

If your boiler is in the kitchen,please ensure he leaves NO clearances for future repair work , replacement or refer to any manufacturers instructions.
But don't worry I think you will find most kitchen fitters do this as a matter of course ;)

Back