A question for kitchen fitters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a BTL flat and it's likely I'll need to replace the (relatively small) kitchen. Obviously the objective is to complete the project as cost effectively as possible, so I'll be selecting a basic but solid(ish) kitchen to install. My plan is to find a local fitter, I'll source the kitchen myself which will all be delivered to the property.

I also intend to remove the old kitchen myself, get any walls made good as required, so I'm essentially giving the fitter a blank canvas to start the installation.

Two questions. Would I be right to assume in most cases, fitters are more than happy with this situation i.e. the blank canvas and not having to remove the old stuff? Or is it conceivable some might not be happy because they can't charge quite as much? Secondly and following on from that, would I also be right to assume it's worth my while (from a financial perspective) to do the gutting myself?

I appreciate it's not an exact science as fitter A might look on this differently than fitter B, however would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
I have a BTL flat and it's likely I'll need to replace the (relatively small) kitchen. Obviously the objective is to complete the project as cost effectively as possible, so I'll be selecting a basic but solid(ish) kitchen to install. My plan is to find a local fitter, I'll source the kitchen myself which will all be delivered to the property.

I also intend to remove the old kitchen myself, get any walls made good as required, so I'm essentially giving the fitter a blank canvas to start the installation.

Two questions. Would I be right to assume in most cases, fitters are more than happy with this situation i.e. the blank canvas and not having to remove the old stuff? Or is it conceivable some might not be happy because they can't charge quite as much? Secondly and following on from that, would I also be right to assume it's worth my while (from a financial perspective) to do the gutting myself?

I appreciate it's not an exact science as fitter A might look on this differently than fitter B, however would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Howdens usually have some decent offers on 'landlord flatpack packages', a reasonable range of units, last one I saw was about 900 quid, you may need to add a few units, they wont come with soft close hinges/draw runners and such refinements.
If you don't have an account with them it's worth opening one.

Howdens usually have some decent offers on 'landlord flatpack packages', a reasonable range of units, last one I saw was about 900 quid, you may need to add a few units, they wont come with soft close hinges/draw runners and such refinements.
If you don't have an account with them it's worth opening one.
Great tip, cheers for that.

Sponsored Links
I got a cheap as chips kitchen from B&Q five or six years ago. It actually looks a lot better than a cheap as chips kitchen.

Back