Question for all Kitchen fitters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've designed a solid oak kitchen for the mass market in the UK. This will be mid priced and extremely competitive for solid oak. It is made to look like it is custom made so there are 3 mouldings that are added after initial fit.

My question is;

Are kitchen fitters confident in joining solid oak cornice & moldings with mitre joints? On straight joints too. I can only get oak in 2m lengths so there may be a lot of joints! Obviously there is no paint to hide any mistakes.

If you are a kitchen fitter, would you be confident to do this as bread & butter work? Or would this concern you.

Cheers

ps. sorry for lack of photos. kitchen launches December 09!

Sponsored Links
I don't think my clients would be happy having a joint part way up a tall housing side and I would prefer to have mouldings without running joints but the actual joining is not a problem.

What oak is it and how thick/wide are the boards and whats the MC?

Are you just talking about door/draw fronts etc or oak carcases and are your draw boxes also solid oak with Dovetailed/finger joints?

Jason

The question that is crying out to me for someone who is aiming at the mass market is why can you only get oak in 2m max lengths

Because its cheap low quality oak to keep the cost down :?: Or he's ripping it out of oak sleepers or found a cheap source of 2m long oak box hearts ;)

Jason

Sponsored Links
warehouse formerly owned by coffin-maker

Thanks for the interest

The oak is American, and at the moment 2m is the longest we can get hold of at the quality we want. We are looking for longer lengths.

Only the cornice, and two lower mouldings would be joined. So no cabinetry work needed by the fitter.

The cabinets themselves are solid framed oak. Doors are solid framed with veneered ply panels. Drawer boxes are solid oak fully dovetailed. Basically everything is solid that can be. Supplied as individual cabinets fully assembled etc.

Glad jointing is no problem though. That was the main thing i was after.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back