Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

This thread has been invaluable to me the last few weeks.

We have had an ongoing, 5 month saga with a B&Q kitchen fitting. The first fitters that attended were clearly not qualified and did virtually everything wrong. This needed to be assessed and refitted. The work included not cutting the worktops properly, not fitting them to the actual units (you could lift it up with your hand), cutting the end panels around the skirting, cutting end panels short, not fitting the sink properly, not fitting the hob properly, not following the plan, plastering over wallpaper (that we paid them to remove), used the wrong material for adjoining panels etc.

To top it off, they would regularly not show up when promised and verbally abused us when pointing out these issues.

They have sent subsequent fitters out but it is still riddled with problems (some arising from the initial fit).

B&Q advertise that they have ‘verified’, ‘trusted’ fitters and offer a ‘hassle free service’. It has been anything but hassle free. This company clearly don’t do kitchen fittings and there is no record online of them successfully fitting kitchens previously. There are positive bathroom reviews but no reviews regarding kitchens. Their website uses a stock image in the kitchen department and they are not Which? Traders or BIKBB members like their website states they are - their membership has expired. The owner has also had 9 companies dissolved in the last 12 years.

I have tried to ascertain from B&Q how they were ever appointed but they are refusing to comment. They will not say how they verify fitters. It is clear to me due diligence likely hasn’t been done.

Is it legal to have no transparency in terms of the advertisements? Can I take legal action against B&Q for this?

Also, does anyone know how they actually qualify these ‘trusted’ fitters?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

This doesn’t tell you how they verify/qualify fitters (hence my post). The tradesmen we had been given clearly didn’t know what they were doing and that is supported by the fact there are no reviews online about them. Their website also has misleading advertisements that they are in partnership with Which? And BIKBBI.

Sponsored Links
For what exactly?
False advertising in this regard. We are now at the stage of seeking legal advise anyway in respect to fit and the length of time it has taken. Most of the issues have stemmed from being given unqualified tradesmen in the first instance. They’ve been fitting this kitchen for over 4 months and it’s still riddled with problems.

This doesn’t tell you how they verify/qualify fitters (hence my post).
It's pretty comprehensive. Not saying they are in the right but what else would you expect them to do?

It's pretty comprehensive. Not saying they are in the right but what else would you expect them to do?
Have a degree of transparency about how they specifically qualify/get these tradespeople?

The website states:

Proven experience of fitting kitchens, bathrooms, or bedrooms.

There is nothing online that suggests this exists. I’ve asked for them to provide evidence these checks were done but they’re refusing to provide that.

Their work demonstrates they aren’t professionals in that area.

Very sorry to hear this but I have to say that I am not surprised. Cost cutting is rife in the industry, and to cut costs, they cut corners. Statements about verifying builders probably go no further than a quick glance at a local trader listing - which no doubt almost anyone can get their name onto. The charming person you found on his 9th company obviously uses the same terrible modus operandi to rip customers off, and puts his company into administration every few years, and starts a new one so he cannot be chased to honour his guarantees.

Judging by the poor build quality of parts of the last three houses I have owned, there are many 'white van men' around who have no skills or abilities, and just throw stuff together, based on the cheapest components and the quickest installation times they can. No experience or qualifications or respect, just an impact driver a radio, and a van.............. And of course you have no idea if the guy is the very best or the worst builder in the area. If you ever find a really good builder/plumber/electrician, hold on to them because they are like gold dust.

If this were me I would first request in writing a sit-down face to face meeting with the store manager and have a grown-up discussion about the problems and the way forward. Keep it calm and factual and don't get into accusations or loud words, just stick to the facts.
Failing that, get the name and address of the B&Q CEO, (companies house), and send all the details to the CEO with a polite but firm letter - in an envelope - stating the facts and the timeline with photos, and asking that that urgent action is taken by B&Q to resolve this whole sorry episode.

Research the sale of goods and services act; use that and quote that in your correspondence. You entered into a contract with B&Q and they must resolve the situation to an acceptable level.

Ignoring you or taking insufficient action to resolve a customer's concerns is absolutely unacceptable.

Last edited:
Their work demonstrates they aren’t professionals in that area.
I'm not disagreeing but legal action needs solid proof. They've been doing this for a long time and I suspect it won't have been the first claim against them.

I presume your legal advisor will keep you right.

Very sorry to hear this but I have to say that I am not surprised. Cost cutting is rife in the industry, and to cut costs, they cut corners. Statements about verifying builders probably go no further than a quick glance at a local trader listing - which no doubt almost anyone can get their name onto. The charming person you found on his 9th company obviously uses the same terrible modus operandi to rip customers off, and puts his company into administration every few years, and starts a new one so he cannot be chased to honour his guarantees.

Judging by the poor build quality of parts of the last three houses I have owned, there are many 'white van men' around who have no skills or abilities, and just throw stuff together, based on the cheapest components and the quickest installation times they can. No experience or qualifications or respect, just an impact driver a radio, and a van.............. And of course you have no idea if the guy is the very best or the worst builder in the area. If you ever find a really good builder/plumber/electrician, hold on to them because they are like gold dust.

If this were me I would first request in writing a sit-down face to face meeting with the store manager and have a grown-up discussion about the problems and the way forward. Keep it calm and factual and don't get into accusations or loud words, just stick to the facts.
Failing that, get the name and address of the B&Q CEO, (companies house), and send all the details to the CEO with a polite but firm letter - in an envelope - stating the facts and the timeline with photos, and asking that that urgent action is taken by B&Q to resolve this whole sorry episode.

Research the sale of goods and services act; use that and quote that in your correspondence. You entered into a contract with B&Q and they must resolve the situation to an acceptable level.

Ignoring you or taking insufficient action to resolve a customer's concerns is absolutely unacceptable.
I have actually broached it with the Store Manager who has taken it in hand.

We were appointed new fitters in November after the kitchen had been assessed by one of their staff enrolled specifically for that. He had advised at the time that a full refit was no necessary. They finished up at the end of the month and the promise was they would come back to complete snagging/remedial work etc. Over Christmas we discovered a host of issues relating to the initial fit. They then failed on their promise to return in mid-January. They then attended for a few days at the end on January but again, there is still issues. They’re now sourcing another fitter to rectify the work.

We’ve had to endure periods of little to no correspondence, staff not being properly trained, property being damaged, the kitchen manager badmouthing us to the original fitters and refusing to escalate or complaints, paying the fitters against company policy, trying to force us to sign warranty forms before much of the work had even been attempted etc. It’s been awful.

They had offered us £1500 compensation in November but we feel that is no longer a fair amount given we have been plagued with issues since. The kitchen should have been refitted a per our request and we likely wouldn’t be where we are now.

I do have the regional manager’s email and will write to him. That being said, I’m beginning to feel like court action will be necessary to be fairly compensated for problems. What is really irking me is that they are maintaining to this day that the initial fitters were qualified.

Thanks for your advice though, it’s very much appreciate.

I’ll never shop in B&Q for so much as a paint brush ever again.

I do think you need proper legal advice, and quickly.

If you were a fitter and BQ asked you to go and sort this scene out, with all the history given, I think you would walk away, which limits the likely fitters to the less experienced or more desperate. Hardly likely to be up to the quality needed to sort it to satisfaction of both sides.

If that is so, the most likely best result is to appoint a new fitter and allow him to start from scratch. A complete refit.

That is what I would be asking a legal advisor to try and achieve.

Kitchen first, compensation after.

But good luck

Best guess on the approval process would be to get the company to complete a questionnaire and stick it in a filing cabinet.
You can always apply to see for yourself.
As people keep suggesting, get some formal advice if you believe this the route required. Have you thought if an independent assessment ie not from b&q head office

Best guess on the approval process would be to get the company to complete a questionnaire and stick it in a filing cabinet.
You can always apply to see for yourself.
As people keep suggesting, get some formal advice if you believe this the route required. Have you thought if an independent assessment ie not from b&q head office
The application form isn't too onerous, it asks for:
Your contact details
Name
Company name
Contact number/s
Email address
Home postcode
Tick the room/s you install
Kitchen Bathroom Bedroom

Companies tend to only sit up and take notice when they are complained about to a TV programme, newspaper or on social media.

Having had a rubbish job done, the legal advice was that as a non-qualified person, customers go to companies to do jobs as they are expected to have the know how, tools, equipment and materials to carry out a competent installation.

This is obviously not the case with your kitchen and I get the impression from what you have said that the company is not taking your complaints seriously and is not being professional.

Pay a solicitor for an hour of their time and take all relevant information along as ask whether you have a case and how best to move forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back