B&Q Kitchen Cupboard Unit Support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help with their opinion on this.

We have had endless issues with B&Q appointed fitters. We initially had fitters that had been chucked off the job (by B&Q) because they didn’t know what they were doing - they had fitted cupboard units to the back wall. We were then given new fitters and it was discovered that the one of the cupboard base units was the wrong colour. After this was replaced by the new fitters we notice they had installed a metal support underneath (picture attached). I’ve never seen this in another kitchen.

I did mention it to them but they just passed it off as an additional support to prevent the units bowing. Does anyone know if that is accurate and the reasons this would really be done? Is it anything to be concerned about? We were dubious that any of the initial fit had been done correctly.

Thanks
6EFA8832-1E56-4BB1-BC1F-3A1030D87C1A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
sorry to hear B&Q are problematic - not surprised we went to the showroom in 2018 and the planners had all just been told that they were redundant and nolonger doing kitchen planning or fitting

went to wickes in the end

we notice they had installed a metal support underneath (picture attached). I’ve never seen this in another kitchen.
I cannot make out where this is on the base unit - I can see the wall
or is the picture sidways
a picture also further away , so we can see the unit in context of the kitchen

it looks like something else was beside the bracket - tried zooming in - maybe that was an original bracket

I have fitted a few kitchens and have used brackets in the past ......

I cannot make out where this is on the base unit - I can see the wall
or is the picture sidways
a picture also further away , so we can see the unit in context of the kitchen

it looks like something else was beside the bracket - tried zooming in - maybe that was an original bracket

I have fitted a few kitchens and have used brackets in the past ......

Sorry I should have made the photo more clear. It’s just strange the bracket wasn’t there after they were initially fitted and it’s a brick wall behind. Surely a support isn’t necessary?
CF0E6BB3-CE2E-4CB4-8C04-3753C4AB2A7F.jpeg

888EEBD8-26C4-470F-B77F-37F8D09BC706.jpeg

no not right - whenever i have put up wall units - the framework is all supported , even on a 600mm width

can we have a photo with doors open at the back

has the frame been cut back to make the depth smaller to fit into the area

how would they tile the wall upto the underside !!!!!!

Sponsored Links
no not right - whenever i have put up wall units - the framework is all supported , even on a 600mm width

can we have a photo with doors open at the back

has the frame been cut back to make the depth smaller to fit into the area

how would they tile the wall upto the underside !!!!!!
Thanks for your help. Going to B&Q has been the worst decision we have made in years. This is the least of ours problems too! The worktops have been replaced three times now and we still have a plethora of issues.

I’ve attached a photo with the door open but it doesn’t reveal anything. I don’t believe the frames have been cut and there is plenty of room to the side and front so that wouldn’t have been necessary to do. The fitters told me it would be no problem to tile over the bracket.. is that just nonsense?

Thanks again for your help. Always good to get someone else’s opinion and I don’t know much about joinery etc. myself.

Attachments

• 7718E054-FD4B-49D1-95D9-F8E8EE7B05F4.jpeg
    7718E054-FD4B-49D1-95D9-F8E8EE7B05F4.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 67
Flippin eck!
Is that right in the middle of the 'Safe Zone' for the double socket! :rolleyes:
Don’t know much about electrics but now that you mention it, it is right above a double socket. Is that problematic?

Thanks

Don’t know much about electrics but now that you mention it, it is right above a double socket. Is that problematic?

Thanks
Simply put, there are zones around electrical outlets that are known as 'safe zones' - these extend to the left, right and up and down from the sockets.
Wiring installed to regulations, follows these zones, so that people know where not to drill!
If you know your cables go down from the socket, then there won't be any problems.
If you don't know where the buried cables go, there is the possibility (small) that the screw has damaged the cable.

Simply put, there are zones around electrical outlets that are known as 'safe zones' - these extend to the left, right and up and down from the sockets.
Wiring installed to regulations, follows these zones, so that people know where not to drill!
If you know your cables go down from the socket, then there won't be any problems.
If you don't know where the buried cables go, there is the possibility (small) that the screw has damaged the cable.
These fitters haven’t done any electrical work themselves and we (the owners) don’t know how they were wired. I don’t know how they could ascertain that it’s not a safe zone.

That’s worrying but doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

I don’t know how they could ascertain that it’s not a safe zone.
They may have used a detector?

...if you feel up to it, turn the kitchen socket power off at the consumer unit, undo the socket faceplate and gently pull it away from the wall. The direction the cables leave the backbox should give you a clue to which direction the cables are running.

if you take the socket away from the backbox - you may be able to see the direction of the cables - BUT be careful - turn off electric, as if you are not sure what you are doing , then can easily cause a shock and possibly death!!! - hopefully the consumer unit is upto date , with rcb

i would not want brackets tiled over, need to be stainless steel bracket / screws , otherwise possible there may be rust with any humidity in kitchen

installation manual for B&Q wall unit here

Page 2 - Step2
there is a backrail (item 7) going across the back , with those screws shown, going into the middle of the rail - and the manual suggests to add additional lower fittings inside the cabinet , step3, going through item7 back rail support

3&4 are the top and bottom, so page 2 shows the cabinet on its side - a bit confusing

so if they needed to strengthen the bottom, mounting, due to the width - 800mm / 1000mm then they show the area to put those fixing
Step 3 on the manual

so no need for a bracket along the bottom , screws inside the cabinet if support needed

you may still have the instructions supplied - but i suspect they have been thrown away with the packaging

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't have used a titchy little bracket like that - instead I use a piece of 3x1 or 3x2 the lenght of the cupboard to support the cupboard...

But then I was taught by my father who always believed in 'over building' such supports.

In the B&Q cupboards I've fitted I've supported the back edge of the shelves with 1x1PAR timber the lenght of the shelf Not one of them has sagged even with the wife's cupboard packing abilities...

And yes, that braket is in the wrong place and if the screw in the wall is of a sesible lenght then the fitters have been very lucky to have not piced the cable. If there is nothing in the cupboard I'd switch the power off and take the screw into the wall to see just how long it is; less than an inch it is doing SFA, more than 2inches it's doing something and if it hasn't cut into the cable your are lucky. I'd not replace it but would rund a a supporting lenght of timber underneath the cupboard.
Alternatively - not quite as nice - glue a lenght of 3x1 PAR inside the cupboard, screw up through the base and then screw that into the wall avoiding the 'Safe Area'.

Alternatively - not quite as nice - glue a lenght of 3x1 PAR inside the cupboard, screw up through the base and then screw that into the wall avoiding the 'Safe Area'.

Thanks Quote Quote
Thats actually What B&Q say in the instructions and have already added the 3x1 ish length and doweled into the side panels - should be behind the backboard
see my last post - link to instructions

They may have over tightened the screws you can see underneath, weakening the rail support so added the bracket below but would have been better installed inside.
Have been offered work as a kitchen installer by both B&Q and Wickes managers while buying kitchen related items in-store, they are desperate to find installers and take anyone claiming to be able to do the job.

Sponsored Links
Back