Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can help with this.

I’ve just had a wooden worktop fitted by B&Q and after it has been oiled, I’ve notice a knot (hole) in the surface.

The fitter has said it’s really common and just to leave it. Does it need filled? Should it be there in the first place?

Thanks
0CE50F9C-04DA-4440-B4E5-DD38F2DD068A.jpeg

Attachments

• 1008CBC8-D958-43A4-9D2D-3B796A57160C.jpeg
    1008CBC8-D958-43A4-9D2D-3B796A57160C.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
You would expect knots in wooden worktop to be filled with a moisture resistant filler like a two part epoxy. Otherwise moisture will settle on the depression and cause problems down the line.

Blup

I would have thought that should have been picked up at QA and either dealt with or rejected before the worktop was passed off.
Contact B&Q to see if they will come out and repair/replace free of charge because, as it is, it is not likely to be fit for purpose as it is close to water.

I agree with @conny - this is a quality control issue.

It should really have been picked up in manufacturing, but it wasn't, however the fitter should also have inspected the materials when he arrived and either opted to install the worktop knot side down (if the knot doesn't go the whole way through - it's at thevend of a stave so that might be the case), rejected the worktop, or discussed the matter with you to see if an equitable solution could be found.

Now the worltop is fixed in place I can see three possible solutions (there are more, but I don't think they are appropriate for a new fit) - replace the worktop, drill out the knot and fill with a tight fitting oak pellet planed and sanded flush or fill the knot with a coloured epoxy resin. Both the latter two options would require the repair to be sanded flush, the worktop sanded overall and refinished (I wouldn't accept a small area repair on a new worktop). Both equally have the (small) risk of the repair subsequently failing and in both cases the repair will always be obvious.

Either way it's B&Qs problem

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that should have been picked up at QA and either dealt with or rejected before the worktop was passed off.
Contact B&Q to see if they will come out and repair/replace free of charge because, as it is, it is not likely to be fit for purpose as it is close to water.
This is the issue, B&Q have been out to assess. It’s the third time this has been replaced (the first was cut improperly, the second wasn’t fitted to the adjoining worktop properly and had a defect). It was one of their joiners that said it happens and that it just gets left as is.

I think they want the job finished as it has the fit been going on for over 4 months. We had initial fitters that clearly didn’t know what they were doing and were chucked off the fit. It’s been an endless nightmare to be honest. After our experience we can’t trust any of them and so this forum has become really helpful.

Strangely, it was clear they initially supplied people that don’t fit kitchen (nor ever have successfully). They are now refusing to advise how they vet they people despite advertising they will supply ‘trusted’, ‘qualified’ professionals. Surely there has to be transparency?

Anyway, I’m just ranting but do really appreciate the help on here!

It should really have been picked up in manufacturing, but it wasn't, however the fitter should also have inspected the materials when he arrived and either opted to install the worktop knot side down (if the knot doesn't go the whole way through - it's at thevend of a stave so that might be the case), rejected the worktop, or discussed the matter with you to see if an equitable solution could be found.

Now the worltop is fixed in place I can see three possible solutions (there are more, but I don't think they are appropriate for a new fit) - replace the worktop, drill out the knot and fill with a tight fitting oak pellet planed and sanded flush or fill the knot with a coloured epoxy resin. Both the latter two options would require the repair to be sanded flush, the worktop sanded overall and refinished (I wouldn't accept a small area repair on a new worktop). Both equally have the (small) risk of the repair subsequently failing and in both cases the repair will always be obvious.

Thanks, appreciate the insight. As per my other comment, we’ve just had endless issues with B&Q. I’m going to ask them to rectify it one way or another, just needed clarity on whether it can really be left untreated.

Thanks!

No it cannot be left untreated, because it will cause problems/rot.
One potential 'serious' problem could be hygiene. Little bits of food get trapped in there and start to rot/develop bacteria. Cleaning with bleach each day to prevent this is not the answer, (sometimes referred to as the 'bucket under the drip' scenario in business efficiency). It has to be replaced/repaired or a full refund given with an added sum for the inconvenience. It doesn't matter how often B&Q have to come out. That is there problem, not yours. It may teach them to use 'fully qualified/experienced fitters' instead of Joe Bloggs from Check a trade who has 500 good reviews from his mates.

B&Q have come back to me to say that they won’t rectify the knot, and we should treat it ourself. They have stated they won’t touch it. The worktop was only fitted a week ago.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

No it cannot be left untreated, because it will cause problems/rot.
One potential 'serious' problem could be hygiene. Little bits of food get trapped in there and start to rot/develop bacteria. Cleaning with bleach each day to prevent this is not the answer, (sometimes referred to as the 'bucket under the drip' scenario in business efficiency). It has to be replaced/repaired or a full refund given with an added sum for the inconvenience. It doesn't matter how often B&Q have to come out. That is there problem, not yours. It may teach them to use 'fully qualified/experienced fitters' instead of Joe Bloggs from Check a trade who has 500 good reviews from his mates.
B&Q are refusing to repair or replace the worktop. It was fitted a week ago. They’re saying it’s natural and we should treat it ourselves. Any suggestions on what to do?

That doesn't solve the OP's issue now though does it, long term it might help perhaps but he needs to instruct his fitter to progress now in some way.

That doesn't solve the OP's issue now though does it, long term it might help perhaps but he needs to instruct his fitter to progress now in some way.
The strong implication from what the OP wrote is that the problem is B&Q's, e.g. "I’ve just had a wooden worktop fitted by B&Q", "It’s the third time this has been replaced..." and so forth (I suggest you may like to peruse post #5). If the problem is B&Q's, and B&Q are refusing to do anything, what, in your esteemed opinion is the OP supposed to do when the fitter doesn't work for the OP?

Oh, and if you read post #4 you'll see that I've already proferred a realistic solution. How about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still sniping? So why not suggest how he achieves this when he doesn't employ the fitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back