B&Q - How much compensation?

We had a similar situation with Wren. They fitted the kitchen in late 2019. Some of the work was pretty pants. Worktops weren't at 90 degrees, units were not aligned with the worktops. End panels were not square to the worktops. Worktops were not level. Glue lines were visible on the white high gloss doors.

Covid kicked in they had a semi plausible excuse for not sending fitters out.

2022- a "fitter" turned up- she what scowls me asked why the oven door doesn't align with the frame. The Wren fitter tried to pull the oven forward. As he pulled it, he pulled the the oven door off. It is an oven where the door drops in and under the body.

We had to wait 5weeks for Wren to arrange an engineer to fix it.

In our case, we had a secondary oven, but, for example, if I wanted to cook two pizzas, I could only cook one at a tine.

Well I can't imagine why you could only cook one pizza at a time, I can fit more than one in an oven.

Sponsored Links
Well I can't imagine why you could only cook one pizza at a time, I can fit more than one in an oven.

The microwave combi oven has only got one shelf. I could do three in the main oven, but only one in combi oven.

We didn't make a big deal out of it but a family of 5 would find the combi insufficient for their needs.

The microwave combi oven has only got one shelf. I could do three in the main oven, but only one in combi oven.

We didn't make a big deal out of it but a family of 5 would find the combi insufficient for their needs.

Oh yes I see, a microwave combi, yes it's not a full sized oven.

Sponsored Links
All your money back and the old kitchen refitted to how it was before they came in. Good luck with them sourcing and fitting the exact same kitchen. ;)

I'd push for all my money back and leave whatever they've fitted in lieu of the old kitchen.
did your mummy laugh when you showed her your witty comment? bet she did. did she say good boy..you are so clever..did she? did she say she loved you? ahhh

so..what's happened? did you recieve recompense or did you bottle the court claim?

First world problems lol
First world problems, yes. Irrespective of that, it’s cost me endless hours of time and a considerable amount money (to me). Not exactly ideal in the midsts of a cost of living crisis.

If you want to discuss geopolitics or something, you’re probably in the wrong place.

Amazes me why people feel the need to insult others when they’re asking for advice. Or how people have the time to do that… ‍♂️

Again, thank you to everyone who has helped.

so..what's happened? did you recieve recompense or did you bottle the court claim?
They offered compensation in the end… probably still less than we felt was fair but after speaking with a consumer rights solicitor, it was going to be extremely time consuming to pursue that course of action. They also agreed the kitchen needed ripped out and started again (which has since happened).

Truthfully, I was so exhausted with the whole ordeal that I just wanted it to be done. I find it quite astonishing that a national brand like B&Q are able to pedal lies about providing ‘experienced, qualified, vetted’ fitters. If a bank was doing that, the FCA would be all over them. Lessons learned for the future - it was the first material house renovation we had ever carried out.

Won’t shop for as much as a paintbrush in B&Q ever again.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back