Building control an new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mates just bought a new property an wanted me to install a new consumer unit but as i'm not part p my self only through work an building control wants £250 for registering it could I install the db an then do a condition report on the property as if it was already installed would this be a loop hole to get passed bc or would I still have to nnotifiythem an would I still have to be part p to issue a con report?

Sponsored Links
No not really I'm not tht experienced around part p an building control just wondering if there's any way for my mate to not incur a £250 charge they said there's only one fee for all electrical work (which is day light robbery) so a board change would be the same fee as a re-wire so was just asking if this way was possible an would I still have notify bc for the condition report ???

Sponsored Links
no you don't need to notify for an EICR, but you need to notify a board change, simple. It's the law, there is no loophole

Some (all ? most ?) LABCs have different charges for minor electrical works. Mine charges about £150 or £225 - the difference being whether you can supply acceptable test results. So you may find that if you are qualified, and provide the right results (the results from an EICR should be fine) that the LABC charge is reduced.

But to clarify, there are only two routes to legally installing a new CU.
1) The person doing the work must be a member of an approved scheme and self notifies through their scheme.
2) The person commissioning the work notifies LABC before work starts, pays the fee, notifies LABC at appropriate points (for a CU this would be when the work is done), LABC inspects the work, and LABC issues a completion certificate. If the applicant can supply test results, then LABC may skip the inspection part, and may reduce the charge payable.

There is no other route
It is a common question, and no, there is no route for an electrician to "sign off" someone else work. The best they can do is test and provide results so as to reduce the need for LABC to inspect & test.

I can provide them with adiquite test results as I hold 2392 initial verification an 2391 but still feel tht £150 is quite dear as if I added this to the estimate it would not compete with local part p registard electricians but if it is the law then that's what he will have to pay or get another contractor todo it, cheers!

Think about it. In the general scheme of things £150 is nothing. Pay it and crack on with the job. Get it done properly.

It is a ridiculous amount of money for "notifying", but I guess if they didn't charge that then people wouldn't join the schemes.... And if it wasn't regulated like this then people who thought they could, would just DIY...

i'm not part p my self
Indeed not - Part P is a part of the Building Regulations, how on earth can a person be a part of the Building Regulations?

Do you perhaps mean that you are not able to comply with Part P? That would be believable.

After the 6th April new rules come in. This will not change the fact you need to go through building control but it does change the directive to how building control have to charge for the work they do.

You could ask them what the charges will be after the 6th of April in view of the government directive. I would guess the councils have not yet put into place the new rules and will not do it for some time. But worth asking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back