building control - are they keen to catch you out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am replacing a wooden joist that supports a brick wall above with a steel beam. i have paid a struc eng to do the calcs.

i now need to apply to building control with the calcs.

the problem is that it is a 3 strorey house and on the top floor is a showerroom that has been there for well over 30 years (previous owners). which is in the roof space and which i suspect was never inspected at the time. (furthermorre the roof space was almost certainly converted during the war).

the se calcs show the showerroom as a load on the calculations so bc are bound to spot it.

are they likely to want to inspect it to make sure it is up to scratch and even to make me take it out or redo it? not helped by me replacing the old units 2 years ago and redoing the plastering so it looks new (it really is 30+years old i am not making this up!!!)

any advice gratefully received.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Roy

You'll find BCO's are not normally interested in the existing, as in the case of your showeroom. I wouldn't worry. If the BCO looks at your showeroom he'll know if its been there a long time.

building control can help as much as they can hinder. the moment they get a whiff you are trying to pull the wool over their eyes, they will pounce.

speak to any officer, the quicker they are in and out of your property the better. play by the rules, and they will be helpful. cut corners at your own risk.

generally speaking, existing work or unreported work is not something they have time to be bothered with.

Building control cannot enforce on anything older than 12 months. They have other remedies for anything life threatening but are only bothered with the really serious stuff.

Sponsored Links
i think you misunderstand me. i wasnt trying to pull wool over their eyes at all. i do want them to come and inspect the installation of the new steel beam and sign it off. however, i am concerned that they may get involved with the showerroom. although very old i replaced all the units (sink toilet shower tray and new enclosure and new step into room) about 2 years ago. i also ripped out the old tongue and groove stuff that covered all the walls and replaced with plasterboard. the door had wood worm so i also replaced that. net result it all looks new - well apart from the floor which is obviously old tongue and groove. it certainly wouldnt get building control approval if it were a new installation for a variety of reasons. also when i replaced rotton tongue and groove wall covering i didnt fit insulation between it and the tiles so they may want to do me for that. all in all i am just worried that they are going to force me to have a lot of work done in the showerroom or rip it out. i am not at all worried about them inspecting the steel beam on the ground floor which i do want to be done properly. thanks again for any advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back