Building control in Glasgow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any of you guys assist, I am thinking of building a conservatory but I have been told that I need an approved electrical company to sign the electrical certificate. My brother is an approved electrician can he not complete the work and sign off the certificate, Will building control accept this. Any help would be very grateful. I live in Glasgow area.

Sponsored Links
Hi I have done a few extensions and all that the Council( South Lanarkshire) asked me to do from an electrical point of view is fill out their photocopied form asking me for my name, address and that I was a competant person. No test results were required even although Im qualified to do so. Then the chap from the council came round to the job and passed all the work that had been done. I presume this would be the same for a conservatory though not 100%. cheers

things have changed,
see the brief details (my opinion) on my website
http://www.baldelectrician.com/buildingstds/warrant.pdf
or the full version on the SBSA website

http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/pdfs/Electrical Guidance for Verifiers 29Mar06.pdf

If the building warrant was applied for after 1st May 2005 then these rules apply, if before then it's the same as BigJon says.

essentially the council have the discression to accept what they deem as 'reasonable enquiry'.

The above directive states the defenition of a 'competent person', which is someone who meets the standards of a member of SELECT; NICEIC or a UKAS body.

The above directive was introduced to help clarify things, so all the councils sing with the same hymn sheet as it were.

Check with the council and ask for a reply in writing as some councils say one thing over the phone and practise another.

If your brother in law does the work the council may ask for you to get a certifier of construction or equivalent to do a PIR on the job, it may be as cheap to get the work done by a COC.

Essentially I include COC certification in any work I carry out from start to finish in the price.
Most other firms won't look at others work, if they do a hefty premium is charged as it usually involves putting things right before certifying

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back