Building Control Requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I wire a Kitchen and bedroom extension, what will building control want from me?

Sponsored Links
if its an extention they have already approved then i don't think you need any further permission from building control and i think they should inspect it like any other part of the work.

but i dunno for sure it really needs someone with good knowlage of the building regs as a whole (which is hard because there have been so many ammendmants) to say for sure

i belive bas was trying to put together a single document containing the building regs and all the ammendments together but i dunno how far he got with it.

Cheers Plugwash, I start tomorrow so will try and knock up the basics in black and white as I wade through and post them on here. I've been told that it wont be a sparky that inspects it anyway!

if the job was carried out after the 31st of march 2005 (this is the last date which would have allowed you to carry out your own electrics) you will have to notify your local council in advance and let them know what you are intending to do. They will want to inspect the works at first fix stage, and again when 2nd fix is complete. They will also then either bring in an outside registered contractor or use their own registered electricians to test your work and you will then be passed the bill from the council. (i have heard that this can be from about £100-200) depending on what is involved.

If you dont want ther hassle employ one of us NICEIC contractors or other Part p members and we will do it all for you.

But be aware, if you need to say add some sockets and lights whiule doing an extension you must make the original installation safe before you can go ahead with any additional works. Things to check are existing main equipotential bonding conductors to water and gas service pipework, main earthing conductor and that ground floor sockets are RCD protected on a dwelling house.

NICEIC, please note 7

Sponsored Links
1) If LABC are involved anyway because of "real" building work (i.e. foundations/drains/walls/windows), then AFAIK their value-based or floorspace-based fee should cover all of their responsibilities with respect to controlled work. If they don't have the expertise to inspect and test electrical work then that should be their problem, not yours, and if it were me, and they asked me for another £100-200 on top I would push back really hard.

I recently sent LABC Services (http://www.labc-services.co.uk/default.asp - an independent Building Control provider) this question:

My local Building Control dept has told me that because of staffing problems they are unable to inspect some building work, and will have to sub-contract it, and that I will therefore have to pay this cost on top of their fees.

Are they allowed to do this??

Their reply was:

Building Regulation fees are set to a scale that embraces the whole scope of what may be necessary in respect of checking and approving the plans and inspecting the work. The input necessary can vary according to the circumstances of a specific scheme, but the fees are not variable due to this feature.

The local authority has a legal duty to carry out the Building Regulation function to a proper degree. This can also vary in extent according to the demands of any scheme and considerable discretion rests with the authority. However they are responsible to give a proper service within the fee and cannot charge extra for the reason you mention. Indeed if they failed to inspect yet still charged you might have a case for a refund.

2) Electromafia-man is correct about the need to ensure that your earthing and main bonding is up to scratch, but although strongly advisable and Very Good Idea™, RCD protection for the socket circuit is not absolutely mandatory. I can't think of any good reason not to have it, only plenty of bad ones, but if for whatever reason it's not in place, and can't be sorted "in time" don't let anyone bamboozle you by erroneously "failing" the installation.

Found this on the ECA site questions & answers for part p explained.

Question; Does part p apply to building work that was approved before 1st Jan 2005

Answer; No, howerver the work must be started within 3 years of approval date otherwise the approval will lapse.

So my way of thinking is if your plans were passed/approved pre Jan your in the clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back