Electrical Work, Building Control.

Right and wrong don't come into it with BC. Having talked to my local LABC about this, one of the main problems is that when Part P was brought in, they were not given any training, any funding to arrange training or to employ qualified staff, or any funding to sub-contract the I&T out to an external electrician, which is an ongoing additional expense.
Tough - that is their problem, and they should not go beyond what the law says they may do and do what the Secretary of State has said they should not do and make it yours.

Basically they were dropped in it and nothing has really changed. This is why they tend to be against notified electrical work unless the person doing the work is at able to do/ or arranges and pay for his own testing and provides them with an EIC. They simply don't have the resources, human or financial, to do what the government expects them to do.
Tough - that is their problem, and they should not go beyond what the law says they may do and do what the Secretary of State has said they should not do and make it yours.

Sponsored Links
My LABC initially tried to tell me I'd have to arrange the testing myself, but as soon as I quoted the relevant bit of Approved Doc P at them, they agreed and said OK, yes we'll sort out the I&T - presumably they try and fob off those who haven't read up on it properly, but if you know what they're meant to do, they will do it.

In fact, this thread reminds me that I need to get the last bit of work I notified done and inspected/tested so I can get the completion certificate etc...

Unfortunately the guidance in Approved Doc. P and stern letters from the government are not The Law.

No, but the Building Regulations and associated statutes are, and they simply do not make any provision for the LABC to charge extra fees for electrical testing & inspection, nor do they provide for LABC to demand that you get such inspection done separately and just send them the paperwork.

On this point the law is clear: If you pay the requisite fee to your LABC for a project, it is entirely up to them to carry out any inspections or tests they deem necessary (or for them to arrange for a third-party to do so on their behalf).

BAS - out of interest - have you ever succeeded in getting your LABC to do what they should? Have you even tried? Or do you just not bother to notify and just break the law?

Paul_C: you are absolutely correct. But if you ever want to get a completion certificate out of them you either have to play it their way or be prepared to take them to court or judicial review - which will end up taking longer and cost rather more than getting the work done by a self-certifying sparks would have done.

I'll be very pleased when someone actually does this to set some case law as it will make it easier for the rest of us to get our LABCs to play by the rules.

Sponsored Links
Umm.... personally I adopt a mix of not notifying (but certifying to BS 7671). I'm fully aware of the likely consequences of that, and I am comfortable with my chosen course.

For a forthcoming extension (economy permitting) which obviously I do have to notify they've agreed I can install and EIC the electrics.

Umm.... personally I adopt a mix of not notifying (but certifying to BS 7671). I'm fully aware of the likely consequences of that, and I am comfortable with my chosen course.

Do you mean you install, test, then fill out an EIC or MWC and just keep it for posterity?

For a forthcoming extension (economy permitting) which obviously I do have to notify they've agreed I can install and EIC the electrics.

Out of interest, how did you get the LABC to accept your competence?

Liam

Interesting. You are required by law to notify BC of notifiable electrical work, but you choose not to. Why then do you feel you must notify the BC of notifiable building work (i.e. an extension)?

Interesting. You are required by law to notify BC of notifiable electrical work, but you choose not to. Why then do you feel you must notify the BC of notifiable building work (i.e. an extension)?

I would imagine because the extension is pretty noticeable from the outside of the house, and likely to be queried. For internal electrical works, who's ever going to know unless you tell?

That's pretty much the way I know many people around here work. They'll go through official channels where it's something which is easily detectable due to its size and external appearance, but nobody's going to throw money away notifying the council just to convert an existing room to a second bathroom or install a few lights & sockets. And that includes yours truly.

Do you mean you install, test, then fill out an EIC or MWC and just keep it for posterity?
Yup, kept for posterity, just like any EIC ever issued.

Although I can't find the last one I did - it's got put away somewhere... :oops:

Out of interest, how did you get the LABC to accept your competence?
Sent them copies of my qualification.

I would imagine because the extension is pretty noticeable from the outside of the house, and likely to be queried. For internal electrical works, who's ever going to know unless you tell?
Or even external electrical work - I didn't notify my outside lights.

Plus if I ever sell, buyers would be much more dubious about lack of proof that I'd complied with structural, drainage, thermal etc requirements than electrical.

Or even external electrical work - I didn't notify my outside lights.

Indeed. I'm certainly not going to give the council money for any electrical work I carry out on my own home. I don't understand why some people are so vehement about obeying all these petty rules, unless they work for local authorities, or are the "progressives" who think that government should be allowed to dictate every aspect of their lives.

If the chances of your work being detected are slim to nil, why would you want to throw your money away? The statute of limitations on building regs. violations is quite short anyway: It used to be 6 months, although I know there was a proposal to increase that to 2 years a while ago. I'm not sure if that change ever went through, but either way after that short period without the violation being detected there's nothing they can do about it anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back