Maybe of interest to competent DIYers...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am effectively a competent DIYer doing a lot of notifiable work on my house during extension/renovation, including replacing CU, adding new circuits, work in kitchen, bathrooms etc.

I have just received a statement from my LABC that since I have demonstated competence (in all aspects of electrical work) they will do NO inspection of any of my work and will just accept a copy of my EIC at the end and issue me with with their own completion certificate.

If anyone here wants more information about what I did to demonstrate my competence, please let me know.

I'll also take this opportunity to thank the various members of this forum who have given me advice which has been invaluable for me to reach this situation. It may seem like a minor feat, but I am well chuffed nonetheless :)

Sponsored Links
Well done Dippy.

I got a letter from the LABC saying that I'm competent. Reading it again I realised that it said incompetent - you sure that is not the same with you?

If anyone here wants more information about what I did to demonstrate my competence, please let me know.

Yes well done Dippy.

I would be interested in what you did to show them you were a competent person as I've never heard of this before. :confused:

I have just received a statement from my LABC that since I have demonstated competence (in all aspects of electrical work)

Brilliant - who assessed you

Sponsored Links
so in other words, you still have to notify them prior to starting work and pay the fees, but they are then saving the money they would have to spend on sending a guy out to inspect at first fix, and again to inspect and test after second fix???

oh I wonder why they want to do that???? :evil:

I doubt your fees will be any lower since they can't charge you for sending a guy out to test anyway..

Likewise chapter & verse if possible as it's very relavent to my current situation.

please post for all to see how this came about. would be a very interesting topic

Dippy, will you let us know individually or make it available for all.
Either way I would also be interested to know.

Dippy said:
I'm interested Dippy.

And since you must have taken quite some care to reach this point, well done to you.

LABC is different in our area. They operate a 2 tier scale. You pay £66 if you write a letter containing 2 references and copies of your qualifications (in their view this proves your competence). However, if you are a diy'er its £294

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back