competent DIYer and electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post in the electrics section..hope I don't get too flamed!

I,m a competent DIYer, my wife tells me so, and am comfortable around electrics, the routing and connection of cables etc.
I am how ever aware of rules now i place that electrical work carried out in the home is supposed to be certified.

My son has bought a flat and I'd like to fit a shower and some extra downlighters. Will I be legally able to do this? Can I run the cables and connected as far back to the distrubution board and then find an qualified electrician?

Your thoughts would be gratefully received.
Rgds
Dave M

Sponsored Links
There is info on the WIKI re this and loads of other posts too.

If you are a DIYer then of course you can do the work. You must, however, notify your local authority, pay their fee and they will inspect it and test the installation you have done.

Most "Part P registered" electricians are only allowed to self certify their own work. They mostly dont want to risk putting their name to an installation they did not do - the come back will be on them!

You may be able to find a spark who will let you do most of the work under his supervision & guidance. You may be more likely to find one who is willing to do this.

Cost of new shower = £110
Cost of notifying my local authority to inspect my wiring = £150
Mmmm.......

Sponsored Links
remember that its certain dowlighters for bathrom areas. no point in puttin in downlighters and findin you have to replace them. Tie in with your spark first. Always better.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back