What is a competent person?

I sympathise with riveralt, and others in a similar position, in as much as he is obviously no less competent (in everyday sense) now than he was when he was a member of the NAPIT scheme last year. However, and this is the point which has been discussed, whether or not one can self-certify does not depend just upon how competent (everyday sense) one is but, rather, whether one is a 'paid up member' of a competent person's scheme.
In part that was the thrust of my response - but perhaps I never made my other point clearly enough was that when I challenged the two local authorities on the Approved documents part P sect 3.8 - 3.12 they did not have a system for allowing this process. And simply referred to the £500 plus I was required to pay to get work registered.
I have now found at least one LABC that has set up this process (3.8 - 3.12) and where they have accepted my competency - reducing the charge to £100 plus vat.

Sponsored Links
An aquaintance ( DIYer ) is renovating a house and his LABC are accepting him as competant to design, install and test the electrical installation.

The decision may have been influenced by new owners of houses on an recently built estate finding too many electrical faults in installations by "electricians" formally "qualified" to be competant to self certify.

Hence my previous posting.

In part that was the thrust of my response - but perhaps I never made my other point clearly enough was that when I challenged the two local authorities on the Approved documents part P sect 3.8 - 3.12 they did not have a system for allowing this process. And simply referred to the £500 plus I was required to pay to get work registered. I have now found at least one LABC that has set up this process (3.8 - 3.12) and where they have accepted my competency - reducing the charge to £100 plus vat.
That is, of course, what 3.10 and 3.11 are all about. If they are satisfied with the competence (everyday sense) of the person concerned, an LABC is free to accept his/her certificate and charge a lower fee - and I am pleased to hear that you have found at least one LABC which is prepared to do that.

In a sense, you are 'lucky' that there is this fairly 'enlightened' approach. As I said, in many professions, if one ceases paying one's 'annual dues', one ceases to be regarded by any officialdom as being in any way 'competent' to practise that profession!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that NAPIT is not an acceptable competent person scheme. (to those local authorities) It is still listed in the current schemes list.
No NAPIT is acceptable to all LABC - but the issue is one of competence.
My point is that on the 30th September 2012 I was classed as a competent person and yet on the 1st October 2012 when I stopped being a member of NAPIT I was not.
I understand. (My Mum used to say everybody's an idiot now and again but don't make a habit of it) As a specifier and contract administrator I get this quite a lot on domestic works. I'd say the electrical design and installation must be carried out by a competent person. Clients would then ask me if Uncle Fred would be Ok - because he's got certificates. I expect you can spot the problem. So it's much safer to say; as long as he's a member of a recognised scheme that's fine. He never is.

In your shoes I would say your previous membership of NAPIT proves you are competent. (in the authority sense - not necessarily in the competence sense) Trouble is, regulations and requirements change. So how do I know you've kept up to date?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back