Electric gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm considering getting my normal sized gate converted to being electricly operated, it's a gate of a normal size for a semi detached property.

The only thing is that I have no idea how much it would cost...

What would be an average cost for a gate conversion?

Also is it worth doing it myself as I am a competent diyer and if so what kits are reccomended?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do make sure it can be opened if the electricity supply fails. We've had a few where we cannot get into houses with electrically operated gates to put their power back on when it has gone off!

I have had the same with garage doors where the consumer unit was in the garage.

Also I have needed to knock on his door many times to tell him (my father-in-law) that the doors are open.

Many of the remotes use a shaired frequancy with Radio Hams and just don't have the coding they should have to ensure some one else using same frequancy will not operate the doors, gates or even car central locking.

Only real way is to have a seperate personal door or gate so if somthing goes wrong then there is another method.

Sponsored Links
especially if your in the SP MANWEB area........;)

Im the same as Ericmark.........Used to get people ringing up whilst we had them off for a shutdown "I cant get my garage door open and I need to go shopping".......they were generally older people who didnt know how to bypass the motor option.....Electric Gates werent really around on domestic properties back then. More serious ones such as disabled customers who relied on lifts/hoists were usualy given a small generator connected into the topside of the cutout to keep them on......until Health & Safety got serious.....

We have a couple of industrial estates with electric gates, one of them with a substation inside - now that could get interesting!

My neighbours gates stopped working when she was on call at her hospital, and her car was in the drive!

The frustration... I unlocked them for her though, and got a bottle of wine out of it!

Also is it worth doing it myself as I am a competent diyer !

This is very much an outdoor power installation and is therefore notifiable.

You will need decent level of competence and access to, or ownership of, all of the calibrated test equipment needed to complete the installation to BS7671 and to the satisfaction of the local authority.

My suggestion would be to engage with a registered electrciain and see how much he will let you do.

There's a lot involved in electric gates, underground detection loops, vehicle presence detection beams, perhaps a pedestrian access gate? Or are you just thinking of a simple keyfob open/close?

What would be an average cost for a gate conversion?
A cheap system could be done for £1000, depending on site factors such as how far away power is, type of gates already installed, what the driveway is made of (and whether you want it reinstating to the same standard) etc.

A decent system will be far more - and in reality, you won't be wanting a cheap effort because it will be a wagonload of inconvenience. Aside from the issues of cheap motors and other components failing, other problems include:
No ground loop = guests can't leave until you open the gate for them.
No intercom panel at the gate = visitors can't get in or even make you aware they are there.
No keypad at the gate = pedestrians can't enter unless they have a keyfob with them.

You can't omit any of the safety devices either, as electric gates are quite capable of killing people when they go wrong, and people have also been crushed by gates due to them being installed incorrectly.
A gate kit may contain all of the safety items required - or it may not.
For this reason, you should not attempt to DIY.

You can do it yourself, get a sparks to run the power to a isolator then do the rest yourself.
Gates have a "secret" key override in case of power cuts or use a 24VDC unit
with battery back up.
Think of pedestrian access, post and bins. You can add time clocks or give codes out. Gates must be well balanced and free moving.
Safety devices are imperative, no paramount.

Came/FACC/BPT/Nice are all good units.

You also need to consider access for emergency vehicles. Many types of gate can be "snapped" from the operating mechanism with the right bolt cutters ( fire engines carry them, the average ambulance doesn't ) but not all gates can be opened that way even in an emergency.

Battery back up operation is worth considering. a pedestrian gate is in most cases essential for people like post men.

Also is it worth doing it myself as I am a competent diyer and if so what kits are reccomended?
As of 29 December 2009 (its latest update), all newly installed automated gate systems are covered by the 'Machinery Directive' and should meet the stringent safety requirements laid out within. The law puts responsibility not only on the installer but also the owner of the gates ongoing (i.e. ensuring the gates are maintained accordingly to these standards).

For example, all gate systems should have safety features installed in them to prevent crushing (and this doesn't mean a set of photocells, as these may not pick up a person standing between the gates).

The gates are not allowed to exert an initial pressure of more that 400N for more than 0.75sec, dropping down to 150N for the next 5 secs, coming down to 25N after the 5 seconds has elapsed.

The majority of mains operated hydraulic ram systems will probably fail the required standard, (when fitted on their own) and will require more often than not, the fitting of safety strips which allow the gates to meet the above standards.

Gaps, shear points, crushing zones, trapping points (to name but a few) all need to be assessed and accommodated for during design & installation and suitable safety features added to ensure risks are minimised........

As with anything in life, if corners are cut or installations are compromised through the lack of competence, then accidents are going to occur, and given the number of well publicised fatalities this year you'd be mad to install these gates unless you know exactly what you're doing.

(Most of the text above stolen and abridged from here: http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=36562 )

Whatever you do make sure it can be opened if the electricity supply fails. We've had a few where we cannot get into houses with electrically operated gates to put their power back on when it has gone off!
Maybe dwellings should not be exempted from Part K(5)...

A cheap system could be done for £1000, depending on site factors such as how far away power is, type of gates already installed, what the driveway is made of (and whether you want it reinstating to the same standard) etc.

A decent system will be far more - and in reality, you won't be wanting a cheap effort because it will be a wagonload of inconvenience. Aside from the issues of cheap motors and other components failing, other problems include:
No ground loop = guests can't leave until you open the gate for them.
No intercom panel at the gate = visitors can't get in or even make you aware they are there.
No keypad at the gate = pedestrians can't enter unless they have a keyfob with them.
So yes, you can expect to pay around £1,000 for a cheap system with poor components which is inconvenient to use as long as it's easy to get power out there and you don't want the driveway repaired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back