Electric gate fob range - what to expect?

yes, tried it outside the car standing about 5 meters from the box and still it did not work. I tried this on the inside of the wall i.e. line of sight with the box

That suggests that something is seriously amiss with the system. If it's newly installed, call whoever you paid to sort it out.

Sponsored Links
how old are these gates ? post picture of fobs and inside of the gate controller …
Photo attached.
Gates are brand new, as is everything else.

You can see the receiver module; I've circled it in yellow. It has that small internal antenna. I tried a test, by running a length of cable (grey whitish cable in the photo), attached it to same input connection on the receiver module. The cable runs out of the enclosure and up a pole next to the enclosure. The pole is high enough to go above the brick wall, but still behind the railing which are atop of the brickwall.

Range improved. Not by huge lengths but say from meter or two with internal to about 7m after. This was just bit of old wire I had in the garage, so it might be better with quality cable, or a different shape for the aerial.

Oh that was standing outside in direct line of sight, i.e. on the side of wall where the enclosure is. I went into the car and tried again, and didn't manage to open the gates, so there is a negative effect of being inside the car.

Attachments

• 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 85
Is the receiver module fitted to the main PCB ?

It looks to be very close to circuitry that has the appearance of being a switch mode power supply. The spurious radio frequency energy created by a switch mode power supply could easily swamp signals from the fob.

Can the receiver module be moved away from the box ? It it can then try it a few inches away from where it is now.

Sponsored Links
Is the receiver module fitted to the main PCB ?
Yes, but that is not an installation decision. That is up to FAAC, which I'd hope they would know possible interference as a large manufacture!

These are the fobs, well not the exact one, but mine are new out of the box. I put in new batteries, but will try new one again. Don't think that will improve things.

having looked at the installation manual I can see there is not a switch mode power supply on the PCB close to the receiver. In fact a there is a 5 pin connector for a radio module

There is a three pin connector on the main board for the connection of the receiver module.
I'd hope they would know possible interference as a large manufacture!

they should do but they may not have a full understanding of what could happen when the equipment is being installed. Layout of wiring / cabling in the cabinet could affect the receivers ability to receive signals.

Are you sure that receiver is 433 mhz …..what does it say on the grey plug in receiver ?

If these are new gates get the installer back. I find it very strange that you have to stand next to the gates to open them. An external aerial will help, not a piece of wire as this needs to be same frequency as aerial.
Never had any problems with Faac equipment we have installed. 433mhz is an older frequency.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back