Have I read this correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day my boss showed me a copy of the April 2006 version of Part P, read Page 11 section 1.21, 1.22 and 1.23.

Am I right in understanding that now any competent person whos QUALIFIED to produce a certificate can carry out electrical work as long as they notify Building Control prior to work commencing?

Does this mean that we need not register for Part P but we can carry out domestic work providing we issue certificates and notify building control?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can, but it's not "now", it's always been that way, and has been since the law came into force over 20 months ago.

The law has always been crystal clear on that point.

What have you been thinking it says?

I thought you had to register and pay £600 for the privilage? So can I work in domestic premises providing I inform the building control and can provide the certificates, or not?

fattony said:
I thought you had to register and pay £600 for the privilage? So can I work in domestic premises providing I inform the building control and can provide the certificates, or not?

Just be aware that notifiying BC costs in the order of £100 a time (averae from what I have gathered) and may want a copy of your EIC (I know there is no need to work to BS7671 and therefore no need for EIC strictly) but if you want an easily life, you'll comply with BS7671 and that means issueing a cert

[Mine, Lincoln fwiw, want £75+vat and a cert]

Sponsored Links
I have no probles with isssueing a EIC and with regards to notifying Building Control, if I was Part P registered then the cost to notify Building control would be £0?

generally anyone who is doing electrical work for a living will be much better off in one of the self cert schemes than paying £100 on every job that involves a bathroom or kitchen.

fattony said:
I thought you had to register and pay £600 for the privilage?
No. Why did you think that?

So can I work in domestic premises providing I inform the building control and can provide the certificates, or not?
Yes - the law has always clearly stated that.

And you may not have to provide a certificate. Strictly speaking the local authority cannot demand that you do, but if they accept that you are competent to provide one, and that is the way they work, then from your POV you might as well go along with it.

fattony said:
I have no probles with isssueing a EIC and with regards to notifying Building Control, if I was Part P registered then the cost to notify Building control would be £0?
You would do that through your scheme, and I think they charge a few quid admin.

ban-all-sheds said:
fattony said:
You would do that through your scheme, and I think they charge a few quid admin.

Yup, NICEIC is £7 I recall (I just click submit these days!) - £3.50 for the admin paperwork, and then a further £3.50 for the NICEIC Insurance backed warrenty.

£1.50 + VAT for notification = £1.76
£1.50 for warranty (no VAT)
Total = £3.26 per job.
Hardly a deal-breaker, is it Tony?

guess it depends on how much domestic work you do isn't it, me not a lot but would like to.

Is it possible to give the customer a quote and write on the quote 'we have not included the cost to notify building control, this is to be completed by the customer' (or similar) I know I'll try many things before I have to fork out

You could try that.

The problem is it isn't his responsibility to notify, it's yours, and if when you are doing the work it becomes clear to you that no notification has been given, it is you who will be liable for prosecution, not him.

What actually happens when you notify the Building control regarding electrical work, do they issue some paperwork maybe attend site?

Ah - the $64,000 question.

To which sadly there is no $64,000 answer...

Different ones do different things. Many try to bamboozle the applicant into paying for an electrician to inspect & test as well as paying them to do SFA.

What they should do is to inspect and test themselves, or to sub it out, but at their expense.

In your case I'm sure they would be delighted to accept your EICs, and your notification fees, and do SFA themselves.

ban-all-sheds said:
And you may not have to provide a certificate. Strictly speaking the local authority cannot demand that you do, but if they accept that you are competent to provide one, and that is the way they work, then from your POV you might as well go along with it.

my local authority (Hull CC) says they need test certificates, so can i challange this? can an untested circuit still be deamed as safe and recieve the certificate back from the LABC?

edit: -just reread and i guess this has been answered above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back