Building control - steps for making a new exterior opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My latest project is going to be a conservatory on the side of the house.

Currently it's just a 2 story brick wall where the conservatory will go so I need to make a new opening to fit a 4ft set of French doors between the existing house and the conservatory.

I've read up about how to actually make the opening and installing the pcc lintels to the opening and I'm happy with how to do that.

I want to be compliant and get building control sign off, but I don't really understand the steps for getting the BC sign-off.

Obviously I need to fill in the forms and pay the fees, but what next?

I want to minimise the time there's a gaping hole in the side of the house. Do I arrange a BC appointment and then schedule my work on the opening to be done the day before or the same day, or do I just do the work and then call BC and hope they turn up the same day or the following one?

I assume they'll want to see the opening before the doors are installed to check the lintel and the cavity is correctly closed....I just don't want a big hole in the side house for too long before I can get the doors installed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cut the opening, put the lintels in, but the frame in, hang the doors and then call the BCO out. He can see what he needs to see at this stage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input guys. I was planning on two of these:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/220332

Appreciate it might be one of those 'how long is a piece of string question ' but how long should it roughly take for building control to take a visit. Am I linking at a day or two or a week or two? Thanks

Ok guys, wickes lintel out. I've got a decent builders merchant down the road so can get something more heavy weight :)

If you want to use concrete, why not consider a 140 deep lintel? Those small ones can crack and most are not really intended for retro fit.
If it was me, I'd just use a couple of 6x4 timber beams.

Thanks for the advice Tony, it's appreciated.

I had just though about separate lintels as they'd be a bit easier for me to handle an could do one skin at a time.

I'm open to suggestions in the best way to do it...I had assumed that those wickes lintels would have been manufactured to take suitable weights for a standard opening but would rather over engineer than under.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back