Building Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've carried out some work on my home, new windows (one bay windows is structurally supporting, fitted a new flue down the chimney and installing a wood burning stove.

What I hadn't realised is that I should of called building control out before doing the work and not just after completion.

Will I be in trouble if I involve them now the work is nearing completion?

Sponsored Links
Depends how much of a ****-up you've made, if any.

Thing is - if you didn't know you had to apply, then you didn't know what any of the other requirements were.

Still - look on the bright side - what's the worst outcome from a dodgy flue and combustion appliance installation?

I've carried out some work on my home, new windows (one bay windows is structurally supporting, fitted a new flue down the chimney and installing a wood burning stove.

What I hadn't realised is that I should of called building control out before doing the work and not just after completion.

Will I be in trouble if I involve them now the work is nearing completion?
No trouble. Just get the relevant forms, explain the situation and pay the fee. The only problem is if something doesn't comply or is covered up so can't be inspected. You'll have to deal with that as and when.

What jeds has described is a 'Regularization Application'. The council will charge you more than had you applied at the outset, but you will get the certificate if all's well.

As above, be prepared for the possibilty of some slightly destructive opening-up (and subsequent reinstatement) of the work so that the inspector can check.

Sponsored Links
Am I right in what I have read that if I have the wood stove installation completed by a HETAS registered installer, then I dont need building control sign off for the wood burner

Obviously I still need it for the windows

Am I right in what I have read that if I have the wood stove installation completed by a HETAS registered installer
Don't know, but I would be skeptical that such an installer would agree to take over a DIY install and then certify that they did it all.

Am I right in what I have read that if I have the wood stove installation completed by a HETAS registered installer, then I dont need building control sign off for the wood burner

You still need a certificate for the stove installation, provided either by the installer or by Building Control.

Cheers
Richard

who installed the windows? you yourself, or workers of a FENSA registered company?

I suspect he did.

Still - on the basis that nobody would be stupid enough to do building work in ignorance of the legal requirements, he must be able to prove that the work complies with Part L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back