Building extension right up to boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello People. Im planning on an extension and as theres not a lot of room so its got to be to the edge of my land. Cant get scaffolding on next doors land even if he woud let me. So I was wondering if anyones ever heard of laying the bricks for the whole side wall hanging over? I was a Bricklayer about 14 years ago and reckon I could joint up this way and im sure laying the bricks wont be too hard but suspect it will take some time. I would have to be working at about waist height every course so I can lean over to and check the jointing. Anyone see any other problems?

Sponsored Links
How are you going to deal with the buildings' overhang elements without causing a trespass?

I would have to be working at about waist height every course so I can lean over to and check the jointing.
What sort of scaffold allows you to work at waist height on EVERY course?
Pointing can be missed when you are able to view it from the correct side so you are bound to have issues where you can't see a thing. There will still be a mess to clean up also.

It's a last resort option, but if need be can be done.

Wall on the end of the concrete foundation, and special design of the eaves to put the gutter over the wall.

In fact, it is the roofing and eaves carpentry that are much more difficult than the brickwork

Isn't this what is called Laying Overhand.

My builder had to do this on a garage I had built as my old neighbour was a complete arse and wouldn't let us on his land to build it. Realise he didn't have to but I was even going to let him remove the fence and have a little bit more garden! Guttering even had to go on before the roof because of him - Projecting header course not eaves!

Sponsored Links
Roof would definately be a problem. I'd probably leave a 12 inch gap to allow for any overhang and mortor drops. I did a garage a few years ago on a boundary and there was a way of getting a soffit on but cant think how we did it now for the life of me , but the header course sounds the ticket. Wouldnt use scaffold on that part, hopups then Bandstands then get the first floor joists on then nail ply on them and repeat. Yes its called overhand in Sussex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back