Building kitchen cupboards - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need advice on what wood would be good for building kitchen cupboards.

I have tried conti board ( the white covered chipboard) but am not happy and was wonder what else would be good.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Mdf, but it's difficult to justify making your own when you can buy them cheaper.

Thanks for your reply.

Part of it is learning diy and the space is bigger than a single cupboard and smaller than a double.

What is a good thickness and would mdf be good for making draws or is there a better wood for that.

thanks

hi, i personally would use 18 mm for the unit carcass, and 15 for the drawer,
and mabe 3-9 mm ply for the drawer base, thats about the sizes we use at work, hope this helps :)

tom

Sponsored Links
Thanks tinytom, yes it does.

What about the doors, mdf aswell?

Wouldn't MDF for units bend and swell all over the place in a humid, spill prone kitchen?

will you be buying doors or making them from scratch?

if your making from scratch try and match it best to nearby doors, eg thickness, colour and moulding style, you may like to use a router to put a round or ogee on the edges, you could use 18-22 mm mdf if you wanted or
make it out of a wooden frame, two rails, two styles and then an inset panel in the centre

all proberably too complicated just for a door though :)

tom

Thanks for your reply.

Part of it is learning diy and the space is bigger than a single cupboard and smaller than a double.

What is a good thickness and would mdf be good for making draws or is there a better wood for that.

thanks
Whats a single or double cup'd?
They are available from 150mm wide to 600mm .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back