Building some kitchen-esque units - which wood,fittings etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm thinking about trying my hand at some woodwork and coinicidentally there is a rather large space under my stairs that could be better used.

So my plan was to make something like pull out kicthen cupboards of varying heights (and then attach appropriately cut doors to the inner cabinet moving part).

Hope this is making sense!

So to start off I need to build the carcass and here comes the first batch of questions.

1. Which material should I use - Conti board or some kind of ply or something else. I was thinking conti board as it's used in most kitchen cabinets I've seen but I am a little worried about it breaking apart when I'm trying to cut and bind pieces?

2. I assume I should make them with 2 side pieces with the bottom and top plate sitting inside the length of the side pieces (rather than the sides sitting inside of the top and bottom piece) as weight is likely to want to make the bottom plate fall out?

3. Which fittings are best used - dowels and glue, but what other fixings are good to hold it it place - screws or some kind of ikea esque pin rod and tightening retainer?

4. Where can you get suitable runners that would be able to work on the pull out inner cabinet - and is it best to have these top/bottom or on the sides - or in all directions (although that's likely to cause alighment gripes!)

As I understand that better I reserve the right to have more questions!!

Thanks for any advice that can be given!

Sponsored Links
18mm mdf screwed and glued. Must stronger and versatile.You could fit units with fixed wheels [not casters] so they pull straight out for easy access.

i take it your a fairly experience diy-er with a good selection off tools to match :D :D

Thanks for input.

Er, not exactly experienced diy-er, but competent and a quick learner (and will get tools I need, if there is one thing I've learned is the right tool makes a job a lot easier).

Sponsored Links
are these units only under the stairs or in the kitchen as well!!

under the stairs only, something like this...

image3_1.jpg

image3_4.jpg

Well, I'll was going to try making one unit first (the smallest one) - if it goes ok then make them as seperate units and then attach like kictchen units.

if you are going with the design you have shown you pretty much commited to finnish
can you not make a blanket/ toy box first as a practice peice!!

Well I will practice - I imagine it will take a bit of patience with lining up rollers etc

Anyone have any ideas on where to get suitable runners?

well good luck you are going to try and master 5 or so skills all at the same time :LOL:

i would use 12mm mdf [18mm a bit heavy but ok]
i would predrill the holes with a 3mm/3.2mm[1/8th inch] drill full depth off the screw
use no6 x1.5 or 2" and avoid the first and last 2 " at each end screw ever 3 or 4 inches
glue and screw do not over tighten if the mdf delaminates push in wood glue and clamp
assuming you are making a box
cut the sides and base from the same board at the same time then cut into the 3 parts

woodfit are good
http://www.woodfit.com/

Thanks, sounds like good advice. I'll start trying to make the outer box. Then try and get some rollers and figure out how much bigger or smaller I need to make the inner box and try that side of it.

Was thinking of getting a mitre clamp - is that a good way of getting the edges lined for drilling etc or are there better ways?

i have a mitre clamp but find it wastes to much time
assuming i am using 12mm mdf say 2ft sqaure i stand both the sections up
you need a drill driver and a screwdriver to hand
hold them at the top fingers on one bit thumb on the other
take your drill through both boards the screw depth plus 5mm
take appart and 2mm bead off glue along the full edge

hold the surfaces back together use the pozi 2[not phillips]drill bit to countersink 3mm then insert the screw

move down 3 or 4" line up edges drill countersink and screw
once you get half way you can turn it over if its easier

I have to say I find mdf smaller than 18mm splits far to easily for construction purposes and also warps easily leaving you units bowed and sticking.
Any runners you fit will also need more than 10 mm to fix to securely given the large dimensions of the project.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back