Long lengths of veneered wood sheets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im building some cabinets. However they are not wall to wall. The first section will be a wardrobe and on top will be cupboards.

However one side will be exposed. I cant find veneers wood that is 2.45 meters in lenght.

This means that I will have to make it from two pieces. And therefore from the side that is exposed you will be able to see the finnishing of the wardrobe and the start of the cupboard.

Is it standard practice when building these kind of units to have the exposed side made from one piece long enough to reach top to bottom.

Or is it ok to be able to see the top piece of the wardrobe and then have the cupboard on top?

I would ideally like it made from one clean 2.45M sheet of veneered beech. However Wickes sell them just short of this lenght, so they are no good.

Does anyone know of other place in london areas? Or those than cut to size and deliver?

Sponsored Links
You could put a matching or contrasting moulding over the join and make a feature of it. A supplier who actually makes the mouldings is D.W. Mouldings in Tottenham, Though they may make it somewhere else.

Can you not get away with 2.44m which is the length of a standard 8x4 sheet, carpet will likely cover the 10mm gap at the bottom.

You could get a 10x4 sheet of MDF veneered as a one off but it will be expensive or make it up from solid wood again expencive and you will need the right tools.

Alternatively make the end panel look like two doors by carrying the lines around the corner.

Jason

You can get veneered sheets at 10' x 4' from stock, have a look around. Surely you could hide the 10mm gap though, what about using skirting or coving, or even just a bit of beading?

Sponsored Links
i am fairly shure if you get a 8"x4" sheet you wont notice the 10mm with the carpet there as jason says if its a "spongy " carpet stand the end pannel on 6mm ply or somthing simmilar and hopefully the carpet will cover

if there is coveing you can carry this round the end to hide any gap or indeed skirting as petwood says
an other choice dependent on desighn of the cupboard is an external plinth that also goes round the side

failing that as jason says make a feature of the joint making it match the lines off the doors ect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back