Utilities Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need some advice on how to go about building my own internal utilities cupboard for my gas and electric meters in my hallway. Is there a guide I can follow? I have looked online to try and find one I can put together myself but the only cupboards suitable are either kitchen or bathroom cabinets. Any help or advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Generally just build the smaller ones using 2 x 1in or 2 x 2in softwood framing with something like 12mm MDF on top and an 18mm MDF door onto kitchen (concealed) hinges. Look for videos on boxing-in pipework for the basic principles. The main difference is that you need to leave a hole in the frame for the door - and you may need to add an architrave and skirtings depending on where the boxing is locate, so make provision for these if needs be. For bigger, more substantial ones I tend to frame-out with 3 x 2 CLS (or MF stud) and clad with 12mm plasterboard both sides, install a proper door casing and hang a real door, fit architraves, skirtings, etc. Joints are taped and filled unless I have the time to plaster (rare)

Kitchen wall cup’d Is ideal you can choose from a huge variety of doors and leave out the back panel .

Thanks for both your replies. Both seem like plausible options. Will have to decide what looks best

Sponsored Links
Kitchen wall cup’d Is ideal you
Thanks for the suggestion but most kitchen cabinets are not the correct size. The cupboard i need has to be Height min 800mm Width min 720mm and depth no bigger than 200mm

Thanks for the suggestion but most kitchen cabinets are not the correct size. The cupboard i need has to be Height min 800mm Width min 720mm and depth no bigger than 200mm
Available at 900mm high x 800mm wide and 300 deep which can be cut down to whatever depth suits , as you would remove the back anyway .

Thanks foxhole. I also need something in a gloss finish. Would that mean also purchasing two gloss end panels aswell as gloss doors? As the two ends would be on show

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back