Building/Laying concrete over sewage pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend wants to build a garage, There are two sewage manhole cover's in garden, Both look to enter one another then run off together out of property. Not storm drains, And not showing on water board plans. Are there any rule's, law's or local planning regulations for adding a concrete sectional garage on a 10inch concrete base??? Thk,

Sponsored Links
Hi, One of the things the buildings inspectorate get really excited about are drains, (ok It takes all kinds).
After fire openings, (fireplaces) this is the thing with most regs to look out for.
you can open the covers and check where they are running to by chucking a bucket of water down.
If they run under the base, it will depend on the depth, but usually the BI will want lintels over to take the weight.
I would check with the local planning or building regs if I were you.
The local council offices will put you right/ send someone down to look.
I was a bricky for 23 years and always found the DS (district surveyor) helpful.

As an aside, I couldn't help but notice how brilliantly you manage to mis-use the apostrophe: your user name would appear to need one, yet you you litter your sentences with their incorrect use in plurals. Well done you.

Eats, shoots and leaves. Is good for those who like a good read.
I defy anyone to read it and walk past a greengrocers without hesitating, just for a moment, again.
BTW w'abbit'p'oo, If it's me to whoom you refer, then :oops:
I do my best, but when I try to use the spell check, the whole message vanishes without trace. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Chess, it was actually Briansmad (sic) to whom he was referring :). Guilty conscience or what?!

If you use the spellcheck, it has probably opened in a new tab, meaning that the original message is in the first tab.

Hi, shytalks,
I just posted a long reply and tried to spell-check it and it disappeared again. :rolleyes:
Aha, did that one. I had to allow pop-ups.
Thanks, I think that's sorted then.
BTW. I can be googled under 'chessspy' if you like antique chess sets, (which is my present 'job'), and beats the cuff out of slaving away on some building site. (except in the middle of summer, in town, watching the totty and having the craik)

Eats, shoots and leaves. Is good for those who like a good read.
I defy anyone to read it and walk past a greengrocers without hesitating, just for a moment, again.
BTW w'abbit'p'oo, If it's me to whoom you refer, then :oops:
I do my best, but when I try to use the spell check, the whole message vanishes without trace. :rolleyes:

No, I was on about the OP.

I have read that book, and am pleased to say have found numerous mistakes in that, too! Good job I'm perfect! :rolleyes:

OK you guys.
I think it's best to call this one a draw, otherwise we may attract the attention of the moderator (aka God) and we don't want that do we?
;)

In the so-called modern way, yes; in the traditional way, no, as it already introduces a sufficent pause. If a sentence supposedly needs a comma before "and", then it's badly parsed imho :).

Such lattitude has allowed "different to" (or, even worse, the Yankised (Yankized?!) "different than") to slip into common usage, amongst many others...yak.

It is sad that so many people don't seem to care either way. Nor do they know the difference between "their" and "there", and between "you're" and "your". I suppose this is a post better suited to another forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back