Building a detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully a straightforward question this. When I get to it ......

Our house shows a garage on the plan which appears to have been knocked down sometime between 2001 and 2013.

On google street view (2009) what appears to be a concrete sectional garage is visible. The concrete base is still present and due to the terrain of the back garden is quite sturdy. A previous owner has decked across the top, most likely because it is where the sun can be found.

I would like a brick garage as per my neighbour to the left but my neighbour to the right has a sectional one.

Most properties in he neighbourhood have detached brick garages.

Can I build a matching brick garage in the same design to that of my neighbour without planning permission?

Anything else to consider? Any suggestions or help are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Check the planning portal for what you can do under PD (permitted development)- limitations are size of garden, not forward of principal elevation, not greater than 30 sq m, height limits, substantially non-inflammable if within 2 metres of a boundary. Sectional or brick or block or metal- up to you.
EDIT If you go for a brick built garage you may have to look at the foundations, again check the planning portal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back