Making good garage party wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to demolish my half of semi detached garage, to then build extension in its place (fully detached, about 6" in from boundary)

Flat felt roof, shared ceiling joists spanning both garages, single skin brick wall separating garages.

What will I likely need to do to make good the wall after detaching and exposing it to the elements?

Will another skin of bricks be necessary (don't think it would as the rear garage walls are only single skin)

Obviously felt roof will need sorting but that should be straightforward and use existing felt hopefully.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
As it is a party wall and is going from internal to external you will have to ensure the now exposed wall will be weatherproof and structurally stable from things like wind loading.

If it is not too exposed and sheltered by the new extension chances are single skin half brick thick will be OK.

Seems rather strange that the new extension is set back 6 inches...why not butt it up against the garage wall?

presume the following line refers to the current situation rather than the new extension:

Flat felt roof, shared ceiling joists spanning both garages, single skin brick wall separating garages.

Sponsored Links
presume the following line refers to the current situation rather than the new extension:
Yep - I probably wasn't making much sense in the post as it was late :)

The 6 inch separation is apparently a fairly standard amount, and accounts for any overhang of eaves, and the additional foundations.

I'd not expect any wind loading at all with such a small separation, but the wall would be less supported than it used to be and so may need some work structurally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back