building me some decking....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm building some decking in the front garden (we dont have a back garden) which will lie outside the kitchen and the protruding porch and go up to the kerb of our cul-de-sac (its in a parking bay area of the cul-de-sac next to our end of terrace house)

the problem is, the kerb is higher than ground-level, so I was going to have the decking raised slightly to meet this - about 1.5 feet.
(at the moment there is a ground level path and a bank of soil going up to the kerb)

just wondered if it is considered strange to have the decking raised above house groud-level (the front door is the other side of the porch area, so no doors will be going out onto the decking)

I was explaining it to my fiance earlier and she turned her nose up, cos she didn't like the sound of it - and was imagining something different.

opinions anyone?

if I was to do it at ground levelm I would have to dig vertically down from the cul-de-sac kerb, and would no doubt encounter a large deposit of concrete overspill from the road.... making my life quie difficult.

Sponsored Links
just take into consideration that the decking should really be below the DPC of the house.

you can always step up to the pavement level

decking can be set at any level you want, it wont cause a problem with the dpc, as you can always shim the wall plate off of the wall, but it doesnt create the problem that a patio would above dpc level.

being a complete newbie when it comes to decking, what do you mean by wall-plate?

Sponsored Links
Its a plank attached to the wall, to which the frame of the deck is screwed for support.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back