Building near a tree.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys - not got a great deal of experience with this.

I can't at this stage ask the question i'd like to, as I don't know much about the soil type etc. However, i'm looking to build near a sycamore with a TPO on it. Want to come within about 4m of it.

The council have asked for an Arboricultural report on it. They want to assess the impact on it etc. I wondered if this report is likely to stop my planning approval, or is it, as I believe, a method statement for working around the trees in order to protect their roots etc.

Customer isn't worried about paying for piles and Ground Beams etc. but just worried that it may put a stop to his dream extension! ! !

Sponsored Links
Trees with a TPO have priority over development rights, so it depends what the report says.

There are nearly always technical options for building close to trees, but it will hinge on the actual site and tree condition

It would be wise to seek out a pragmatic arboriculturalist. Read some of their previous reports

Sponsored Links
Options sounds good....

Not sure if the postcode may help for you to see on Google Maps - BS9 4HF - its number 49, has a green garage door and a saab on the driveway.

The extension will start where the existing 6ft wall is

Google earth can be a nuisance because when a planning application goes in now, some bod in admin. looks up the address. If he/she sees anything bigger than a clump of dandelions, they won't register the application until you submit a tree report.

A few taps on the keyboard and a standard letter goes out costing the client £500-£1k. for a tree survey.

(A recent letter I had from Salford commenced; "There is trees on the site...")

The ironic thing is that no-one in Planning sits down and reads these reports - they just have the satisfaction that they've made you pay out a shed-load of money for nothing.

In practice, the sycamore shouldn't stop your client's development because it can be done with piles and ground beams. They will ask you to apply measures to protect the tree, but again that's all nonesense because no-one in the Planning office will get off their backside to come out and check.

I got one of these Abo reports done when I built an outbuilding 'close' to some TPO trees that are outside the rear of my garden.

Nobody asked me to do it, it was another example of me trying to do the right thing and ending up with a bill for £500 :oops:

Anyway, the Abo made a pretty picture that showed the 'danger area' around the tree (as a circle) where the roots could be. As a result rather than building within 2m of my rear boundary I had to leave about 4m and end up with a redundant piece of land there.

The upside was that the Abo documented that both trees weren't in the healthiest of conditions to begin with and so should they die in the next couple of years no one can really blame my ground works

Cheers chaps - managed to get through to the Council on his behalf, and they sort of said whatever happens there is likely to be a work around, weather it be piles etc.

So he's exchanged contracts in fear of loosing the house.

Fingers crossed we can get a solution, then we got some lovely work ahead!!

Our friendly Arboricultural consultant came out and said, wow they're crap examples of Sycamore's they'd be better off out of their misery - you should chop them down.

But lets not upset the planners, i'll write a letter suggesting that all is well and you go with Piled Founds. Please forward your £660.00 cheque to my home address.....or £500 for cash!

Thats a cracking hourly rate....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back