building new garage with blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wish to knock down the old garage and build a new one with breeze blocks on a floating(10 inches thick) concrete base with pilling on the corners. On top I intend building the walls with breeze blocks. Should I use aerated or concrete blocks as it will only carry the roof as it weight-plywood and bituman sheet roof.

Please give me some advice which block should I use?
Aerated blocks are indeed easier to lay. Would it be suitable as an external wall? Should I use solid 100 thick concrete blocks?

I intend educating myself first then attempt this work.
Please advise
diyboy2

Sponsored Links
Use normal blocks, they are cheaper and you be able to fix things easily to them, they take render better etc.

The slight ease in laying them does not make up for the possible problems they could cause you.

I'm using regular 7n concrete blocks for my garage with a cavity fully filled with fibreglass batts. I did consider aerated/thermalite blocks but from what I have read they are a pig to fix things to and I like to hang things like ladders on my garage walls so went with the heavy blocks. One advantage with thermalite is that you can buy them in various thicknesses upto 300mm and a solid 300mm thermalite wall is easier to build than a cavity wall and still gives some insulation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back