Building Notice advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thought I'd ask a quick Q on here before calling the council building peeps.

I have just bought a house which some time ago had a rear extension approx 10ftx16ft which was in timber which was used as a kitchen.

When I bought the house it was recommended to remove this and rebuild in brick which I am having done.

I am coming to the stage of applying for a building notice but looking on their website it mentions different prices for different sized 'extensions'.

My question is will this be classed an an extension or do I have to go through a different procedure as I am changing an existing structure from wood to brick?

If I do use a building notice, do I calcualte the cost from the entire size of the extension, or would it be just the difference in size? The reason I ask is that I will be coming out to the 3m allowed which is another 2foot to the existing structure.

This work is essential as otherwise if the wooden extension was removed there would be no kitchen and the house would have no back wall so would be open to the elements.

I will look on my plans tonight to see if this extension is on them.

Hope this is clear enough.

Thanks for any responses in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you are removing an existing structure then you're basically starting again and the app will be for the whole lot.

As jeds said, you would calculate the fee's on a complete new build extension.

This would seem to be more like schedule 3 work, rather than a new "extension".

Work out your build costs and if it is more advantageous (ie cheaper) to use schedule 3 then do that, otherwise go with the extension fee and base it on m2 floor area

Sponsored Links
if it is more advantageous (ie cheaper) to use schedule 3 then

If the OP can get away with that, then all is well. However, I've tried it before and it didn't go according to plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back