Few local building control regulation questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

I am looking to build an extension to the rear of the property, as it is not a detached house I gather the maximum is 3m outwards from the house?

But I was just wondering if anybody could answer my other questions.

Looking to put a plastic roof on it, so I gather its considered a temporary structure (like a conservatory, so it doesn't need a building notice)

But I want to where possible build it still as an extension to building regulations, so, how deep would I be required to dig the footings around the outside?

and, at present there is an outside drain from the kitchen in the way, would this have to be moved? if I move it to the front of the extension, then I will need an inspection pit where it T's into the drainage and will have to notify to building control this alteration?

or would I be better off just notifying the whole lot to building control as a permanent extension and posting a building notice?

reason for wanting to build to building regs is because we want a cavity wall, and seeming foundations have to be dug out anyway, may as well do everything to regulations.

Sponsored Links
You are confusing planning permission (the right to build) with building regulations (the technicalities of building)

You can build more than 3m out if you like, you just apply for planning permission

There is no such thing as a temporary structure. You wont be able to use a plastic roof if the work is being done under building regulations

Drain work requires building regulation approval - and may be that of your water authority too as they might be their drains

Building regulations will apply or not apply depending on what you are doing. You can't apply for building regulation approval if the work is not notifiable, but that wont stop you building it to the relevant regulations

You are confusing planning permission (the right to build) with building regulations (the technicalities of building)

You can build more than 3m out if you like, you just apply for planning permission

There is no such thing as a temporary structure. You wont be able to use a plastic roof if the work is being done under building regulations

Drain work requires building regulation approval - and may be that of your water authority too as they might be their drains

Building regulations will apply or not apply depending on what you are doing. You can't apply for building regulation approval if the work is not notifiable, but that wont stop you building it to the relevant regulations

Hi, Thanks for the reply :)

my mistake, it was the way I worded it which probably wasn't good.

I understood it there is,

Planning Permission, which as you say is the right to build... which requires full plan submission and building authorisation.

Then there is,

Building notice, which is submitting a notice of intent prior to doing building work which doesn't require prior permission but falls under the scope of building regulation.. such as outside drainage, windows, insulation, roofs, electrical work etc. Which requires inspection and a completion certificate to be issued by Local building control.

So it was my interpretation (which could be wrong) that for a detached house you could build a full width extension that is no more than 4 metres at the rear... and for an semi detached or terraced house an extension that is no more than 3 metres at the rear and those don't require planning permission... but if they are built with a permanent roof like tiled or felt would require a building notice to be submitted and inspection at various stages with a completion certificate to ensure building control compliance.

However if a plastic roof is installed, then you don't need a building notice as long as it is still under 3 or 4 metres depending on property because I thought with a plastic roof it didn't fall under the scope of building regulations?

But as I am intending on building a cavity wall and insulating it, was wondering if I would better just ditching the plastic roof idea and doing it as a full blown extension.

Or would I have no choice but to do it to building regulations and submit a building notice because I intend to insulate the walls, and floor which Is covered by building regulations conservation of energy.

You're getting bogged down with this.

Just because you have a plastic roof, it doesn't mean you don't need Building Regulations approval.

With a plastic roof, any requiremnt for building regulations approval depends, among other things, on whether or not you keep any existing door between the house and the new extension.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Existing doors will remain in place.

Currently there is a conservatory, which is half the width of the house.

Originally plan was to just make the base bigger, to full width, a wall either side... Plastic roof and PVC doors and windows on front.

But because the room needs insulating to keep it cooler in summer and warmer in winter, and we are building walls then I guess id need a proper foundation around the outside. So that's why I was wondering if to do a proper foundation and insulating it needs building notice? And if not if id be better shoving a proper roof on it and submitting a building notice so in future if need be door could be removed.

There is a recent long thread on this forum as to what is and what isn't a conservatory.
That is what you need to determine to establish whether or not you need a buiding regulations approval.

And here it is: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278544&start=0 though the upshot of that entire thread can be confined to the following:

It is all taken care of within Part L1B Existing Dwellings, no need of any special notes or other LABC blurb. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1B_2010.pdf

If the conservatory complies with 3.15 (and 3.16) it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

If it does not comply with 3.15 it must comply with 4.8, there is no limit on how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Whilst it must comply with the regulations stipulated within 4.8 building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

Hi, thanks

I don't think then I will need to submit a building notice.

Because it complies with this,

Conservatories and porches
3.15 Regulation 21 of the Building Regulations exempts some conservatory and porch extensions from the energy efficiency requirements. The exemption applies only for conservatories or porches:
• which are at ground level;
• where the floor area is less than 30 m2;
• where the existing walls, doors and windows in the part of the dwelling which separates the conservatory are retained or, if removed, replaced by walls, windows and doors which meet the energy efficiency requirements; and
• where the heating system of the dwelling is not extended into the conservatory or porch.

It doesn't comply with below but that seems to of been removed in the 2010 regs? So doesn't apply any more.

For the purposes of Part L (Conservation of fuel and power), Approved Document L1 (Conservation of fuel and power in dwellings) says in paragraph 1.58 - “a conservatory has not less than three- quarters of the area of its roof and not less than one-half of the area of its external walls made of translucent material.”

As to have 2 out of 3 walls floor to roof height brick, and the front lower 1/3 of the way up brick either side of the French doors will mean less than 75% of the walls is translucent material.

But it looks like that reg no longer exists so isn't relevant any more.

Also was considering later on putting a toilet in there, will building control accept a conservatory with a toilet? I am going to have to post a building notice anyway to alter the drains its not good to have the drain inside the conservatory in case it blocks up and overflows.. Not very hygienic either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back