DIY Building an Extension & Building Control

TBH I'm not sure, but maybe Building Control need to see the electrical certificate and FENSA stuff for the windows? - don't know, maybe others more knowledgeable than me will chime in?

Sponsored Links
TBH I'm not sure, but maybe Building Control need to see the electrical certificate and FENSA stuff for the windows? - don't know,F maybe others more knowledgeable than me will chime in?
Don't think they are interested in any Fensa Certs, and as Woody said, if you extend or spur off an existing circuit even that is non notifiable.
As long as external doors are in place that is.

Actually, it's more complicated than that.

A project is notifiable if it's scheduled to last more than 30 working days (so 6 weeks) AND have more than 20 workers working on site at any point (admittedly unlikely on a conservatory extension).

However, it's also notifiable if it's scheduled to exceed 500 person days - so a project with 11 people for 45 days, for instance.

Here's a handy calculator:

http://www.darleypcm.com/cdm/cdm-2015-notification-calculator[/QUOTE]
WTF are you quoting all this for, that's CDM not Building Control and in anycase just how would a conservatory take 500 man days or require 20 workers on site? Are you on some kind of Vegas three day bender or are you a surveyor who is high on crack? :confused:

Sponsored Links
The whole issue of sufficiently heating a standard conservatory to a comfortable level without costing a fortune in energy bills is something which causes me concern. Although I've seen people claim it is possible, the general consensus seems to be that it is just not worth it...

So if I do want to extend it may have to be an extension anyway.

The whole issue of sufficiently heating a standard conservatory to a comfortable level without costing a fortune in energy bills is something which causes me concern. Although I've seen people claim it is possible, the general consensus seems to be that it is just not worth it...

So if I do want to extend it may have to be an extension anyway.

People are now realising that, and the conservatory fad is being replaced by the brick orangary

So, I've decided to make this my go-to thread for general advice as we've decided we will build an extension should our finances permit.

We're keeping it under 30sqm so Planning should not be required.

Building an extension will be a first for me so there will be a lot to learn along the way. I'm looking to use a Structural Engineer rather than an Architect to save expense. We know exactly what we want and will submit an application or building notice with plan/drawing showing what we will be doing. As I understand, whether or not we will need to submit Full Plans or only a Building Notice will depend on the drainage:

Full Plans submission will be required where:

Domestic extensions are proposed unless it can be shown on the drainage plans submitted that the work does not require an agreement with Thames Water Authority.

We will probably take down one internal structural wall as well, which will require an RSJ spanning from one of the other internal walls, to the new external wall of the extension.

My main concern at the moment is that I do not know anything about the building control requirements for the structure itself, in terms of materials/specifications, and so will be looking to the Structural Engineer to provide adequate materials and dimensions specification for building control conformity.

We're not ready to start with this yet, but any general tips and advice along the way are appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back