Building notice - how much detail required - when can start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to

- replace windows
- remove internal wall , will put rsj in
- remove a chimney breast from outside wall , where the chimney was removed many tears ago, and it is not supporting roof. It should just come down.
- remove ground floor chimney breast from party wall, leaving smaller first floor brast and shared chimney stack, and support with gallows brackets.

The first 3 are pretty straight forward, I would tread carefully on the last one and would appreciate input from BC.

When I fill in building notice, how much detail do I need to include , or is a brief outline ok ?

I wouldn't do any work on party wall before discussing with BC , but Can I start work on others before BC respond to my notice, ie 2 days after notice ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Because I am ready to start., and they are pretty straight forward jobs.

Risks , I See no risks, as my uncle horatio might have said

Just fill in the form with a brief description, have a chat with the inspector over the phone find out at what stages he wants to inspect. Officially some LA's ask for a location plan but I don't think they're strict about that. May well need calcs for your beams though.

Sponsored Links
Watch out here - many inspectors will not accept gallows brackets to support a chimney breast.

No he wouldn't.

Anybody who is capable of doing the work that he describes, knowing that it complies with the regulations, is perfectly capable of describing it in words and diagrams to LABC.

No he wouldn't.

Anybody who is capable of doing the work that he describes, knowing that it complies with the regulations, is perfectly capable of describing it in words and diagrams to LABC.

OP said that he would llook for input from the inspector on one of the items (removal of the chimney).
This suggests he may not be 100% sure on the method. If the inspector then refuses to give advice - a line which many take because it is not their job - then what is the OP to do?
Probably get someone to draw out details of the support - for a fee

OP said that he would llook for input from the inspector on one of the items (removal of the chimney).
This suggests he may not be 100% sure on the method. If the inspector then refuses to give advice - a line which many take because it is not their job - then what is the OP to do?
What he should have done in the first place - if he is not 100% sure of the method, and 100% sure that he will be in 100% compliance with 100% of the relevant regulations then he should not be going the Building Notice route, and should be doing a full plans submission.

It really is that cut and dried.

What he should have done in the first place - if he is not 100% sure of the method, and 100% sure that he will be in 100% compliance with 100% of the relevant regulations then he should not be going the Building Notice route, and should be doing a full plans submission.

In which case - as I said -it would cost him to have the details drawn up.

Well yes.

But I assumed that when I read this:
Because I am ready to start., and they are pretty straight forward jobs.

Risks , I See no risks, as my uncle horatio might have said
I was reading the truth.

If you go down the Building Notice route then it is sensible to assume that there is a degree of anticipation on behalf of building control whereby they assume there will be issues to thrash out.

I did a lofty recently and had a 'consultation' visit with Trevor Edensor from Staffs council. I was surprised to hear him say that whilst they are not obligated to design the works they are under a remit to offer advice and the higher fee reflects this.

Building control were very helpful. There was an amusing tete-á-tete regarding the actual head-room height between B.C. officers which required an annoying back and forth between myself and the two officers, but otherwise they were surprisingly open. Tony knows only too well what it is like when different officers offer differing advice!

This idea that they smugly stand back and watch you make a real hash of things is not true.

So Bas, you don't need to be 100% sure of compliance, regulations, or anything else for that matter. Here's me thinking that you could not possibly comment on things that "were not your field of expertise". :rolleyes:

So Bas, you don't need to be 100% sure of compliance, regulations, or anything else for that matter.
In my world you do.

Less than 100% means less than sufficiently competent.

Here's me thinking that you could not possibly comment on things that "were not your field of expertise". :rolleyes:
This is my field of expertise, i.e. knowing that competence is essential.

The OP said he was ready to start. That turns out not to be the case.

So Bas, you don't need to be 100% sure of compliance, regulations, or anything else for that matter.
In my world you do.
But you were referring to someone else when you wrote...

It really is that cut and dried.

Not at all cut and dried. Far from it. The O.P. is absolutely ready to head down the Building Notice route. Wrong yet again Bas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back