Building on a deck ? or remove the deck ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm building a garden room (3 m v 3.8 m ) where there is currently a deck 4.8 m X 4

When building the deck I went way overboard on the foundations.

I'm really struggling with budget / time / and keen not to waste the good work on the very solid 2 year old deck.

I'm trying to decide whether to

A - rip the deck up - start from scratch .

B - Use the existing decking joists to hold the flooring , insulate between them & create block pier foundations between existing deck joists for the wall plates (level) and roof to sit on . . . . .

I'm guessing the main problem with option B ( apart from a more complexity ) is risk of water ingress as the floor joist would span out from under the building. Option b is getting more and more appealing , but consius it not ideal

advice / thoughts apricated ?

Sponsored Links
height off the decking comes off your 2.5m to avoid the need for planning as its from ground level

I've always put decking in with a slight fall away from the house, to clear water (I live in a very wet part of the world) but I'd want any garden room floor to dead flat as well as slightly above the level.of the decking. This leaves me in favour of stripping part of the decking to leave the frame work) then building off that. So not quite either option, I'm afraid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back