Building over a public sewer and connecting to a new manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I'm trying to help my aunt out with a rear extension, but I'm stuck due to requiring permission from Thames Water, because there is a sewer running through the proposed extension. I sent applications and drawings(drawing enclosed), but it has not been approved. I know something is not right and would really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Here is the letter they sent:-

We have received your application for the proposed development at the above site.

Unfortunately we are unable to approve your proposed work at this stage. You have indicated that the public sewer will be diverted. However, the preferred option is to relocate the existing manhole via a y-junction.

We will also need to see foundations and bridging over details. Where the public sewer passes through the new foundations there must be a minimum gap of 600mm either side of the sewer.

Please send us the new revised drawings illustrating all of the above as soon as possible in order for us to complete your application.

Sponsored Links
Firstly... I can't really understand your drawing.

Secondly... I'm assuming that isn't to scale because according to your drawing, this extension is about the same size as the existing houses :eek:

I'm confused - is that a drawing or a flow-chart?

Your "proposed manhole" is dimensioned at 18' from the wall but looks about 3' away.

What exactly are you doing and what is the existing layout like?

They have asked you for an architectural drawing showing how you intend to meet their demands, if that 'drawing' is what you have sent them (no offence) I am not surprised they have rejected it.

Sponsored Links
Firstly... I can't really understand your drawing.

Secondly... I'm assuming that isn't to scale because according to your drawing, this extension is about the same size as the existing houses :eek:

Sorry about the bad drawing. The drawing isn't to scale. Its supposed to be 10feetx18feet.

I'm confused - is that a drawing or a flow-chart?

Your "proposed manhole" is dimensioned at 18' from the wall but looks about 3' away.

What exactly are you doing and what is the existing layout like?

Well, its supposed to be a drawing, but as you can see I'm pretty clueless :oops:

The proposed manhole is supposed to be 8 feet away. The drawing isn't to scale.

The plan is to build a rear extension 18feet in length and 10 feet in width. The problem is that the sewer will have to be moved and hence the permission.

They have asked you for an architectural drawing showing how you intend to meet their demands, if that 'drawing' is what you have sent them (no offence) I am not surprised they have rejected it.

No offence taken...I know it sucks. I think I should just hire an architect :confused:

A One man band architectural technician would be ample for this, no need for an architect, cheaper too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back