Building over manhole cover on public sewer?

I would suspect the arrows are top indicate direction of flow, pumping stations are only used where required when gravity is no longer an option. The presence of any kind of pumping station should be indicated by one or more large covers, and a kiosk or cabinet to house the electrical gear.

You really need to ascertain depth and size of the sewer, whilst the Water Company may allow you to build over, they also may require a CCTV survey. If the pipework is of the same era as that shown in your pictures, there is also a possibility that remedial works may be required, e.g. lining of the pipe, which may have to be done at your expense... :eek:

Sponsored Links
Doesn't the 2.27 at the northern manhole cover indicate the depth?

The extension is single storey and the foundation depth will be 1m.

The houses were built 1950 so I would assume the sewer is from then.

I'm aware they may have conditions for building over, inspections etc, never the less it's a lot easier than diverting it in order to move manhole covers!

Hi folks,

Just to wrap this up, the water authority confirmed there's no manholes and are coming out to survey the pipe and check it's condition and depth. They charge £240 for this but will repair the pipe themselves (at their cost) if it's in poor condition in any way.

They then charge £340 for a building over agreement but this does still leave them with the right to pull the building down should they ever need to, with no requirement for them to reinstate it.

They offer, as an alternative to a building over agreement, insurance charged per square meter which means they will reinstate the building in the event it has to be removed, turns out it's about £950 (one off) for a 36sqm building.

Sadly the building is 6.9m long and their rules state that if you're only covering up 6m or less of their pipe absolutely none of the above applies and you can do as you please :rolleyes: Can't shave 0.9m off though.

Thanks for all the pointers.
Rich

Sponsored Links
hi people do u know were u can get maps that show drainage runs like in the first pic

thanks

I got one from a solicitor who in turn got it from a 'search' company, the other I got from a mapping company whom the water authority referred me to, they charged for the privilege.

I've heard the council/water authority will make them available to you via their offices but you can't download a copy free of charge as far as I can see.

Hi folks,

Just to wrap this up, the water authority confirmed there's no manholes and are coming out to survey the pipe and check it's condition and depth. They charge £240 for this but will repair the pipe themselves (at their cost) if it's in poor condition in any way.

They then charge £340 for a building over agreement but this does still leave them with the right to pull the building down should they ever need to, with no requirement for them to reinstate it.

They offer, as an alternative to a building over agreement, insurance charged per square meter which means they will reinstate the building in the event it has to be removed, turns out it's about £950 (one off) for a 36sqm building.

Sadly the building is 6.9m long and their rules state that if you're only covering up 6m or less of their pipe absolutely none of the above applies and you can do as you please :rolleyes: Can't shave 0.9m off though.

Thanks for all the pointers.
Rich

Be careful! I was told exactly the same thing. "if the pipe is in poor condition we will replace at our expense". When I applied for the build over it changed to " the pipe is pitch fibre and you will have to pay for the replacement, £1,500 please to design it and £7,500 for the work." It took a year of letters and e-mails, lies and denials from water authority employees, until I threatened the CEO of the water company with the law of prommissory estopple and they final agreed to do the work at their expense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back