Sewer access / manhole cover.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got this access point/manhole cover in my garden and as you can see, over the years and when having an extension done the ground has sunk. This is the whole garden, not just around the manhole cover. I need to get the garden levelled and Re-turfed but then I’ll have this horrible thing sticking up like a chimney!

Is there any was I can get rid of it? I think it’s public. There’s also another manhole cover about 10’ away which I think goes to the same sewer although that looks more like a regular one and less like a concrete chimney.

Attachments

• A666A108-A446-400A-AA61-F39E69BED2CE.jpeg
    A666A108-A446-400A-AA61-F39E69BED2CE.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 400
  • B6A3C6B0-72F3-452F-8EDE-3D961E364907.jpeg
    B6A3C6B0-72F3-452F-8EDE-3D961E364907.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 365
Sponsored Links
Reducing biscuits like yours often mean a large chamber beneath. Can you firk around under the wide rim of concrete and expose the chamber sides, or lift the lid if the grabbers aren't shot.

The manhole opening below the cover is approx the diameter of the concrete ring.
Its a pretty big manhole for a single residential back garden - possibly your sewer line runs deep or the sewer line is shared with neighbours?

The metal cover will be simple to lift but heavy.
Remove soil from around the concrete ring and you will expose how its connected to the manhole itself.

Before doing any work maybe it would be best to make inquiries with your utility ref this matter.

Ground sinking is often a serious business - esp over a "whole garden"?

fwiw: this kind of task is usually beyond DIY work.

This is the whole garden, not just around the manhole cover. I need to get the garden levelled and Re-turfed but then I’ll have this horrible thing sticking up like a chimney!
You can level the garden - maybe hire/borrow a rotavator. Worst case scenario for the manhole - leave it sticking up and make a feature of it - upright sleepers etc. Then pots on top .

Sponsored Links
TDack,
Are you any further along with exposing the how the ring is connected?

That manhole cover should lift up, you have one good handle but would need a couple of large screw drivers/levers. Once lifted, post some more pictures.

Andy

I’ll open it up and post some more pics. ThKis everyone.

Pics attached of the manhole open. Sorry it took so long, work got in the way!

Attachments

• 7B74FC32-E8FF-4DF8-A86F-FE40BDC4CD16.jpeg
    7B74FC32-E8FF-4DF8-A86F-FE40BDC4CD16.jpeg
    732 KB · Views: 311
  • 529A34C3-05BF-483D-BC75-E64CA800F57D.jpeg
    529A34C3-05BF-483D-BC75-E64CA800F57D.jpeg
    590 KB · Views: 286
Cant you just level the garden and build it up around the drain. Cover the round part and leave the rectangular section and lid visible. Then put a large planter on top

It is almost certainly a public sewer and you really shouldn't be touching it. Speak to your local water company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back