Sewer manhole cover where I want an extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a row of semi detached houses and have a sewer manhole cover about 2 meteres away from the back wall of our house in our garden (house up stream also comes into this sewer and our access point then goes into the next house garden).

We want to extend our kitchen/dinning area but the drain would be in the way.

What can be done (I wont be doing it myself and will get the builder to do whatever he needs to do) so I know if its possible to do.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It needs to be moved. Whether it can be moved would be the job of whoever is designing the extension.

house up stream also comes into this sewer

so a shared sewer, which almost certainly means the local water company will need to be involved from the very beginning as they are responsible for maintaining shared sewers.

Sponsored Links
If you have an alleyway you would simply move the manhole along the same line and double seal the existing one.
Water company needs to be notified before you do anything .
In my area Thames water are very good and don't charge to inspect the work.
They simply check the double seal on the existing manhole and the new manhole, then they drop a camera in the pipe to check it's all ok.
They also clean the all run as they're there.
If you haven't got an alleyway and the extension will go from boundary to boundary (or slightly less I should say before someone starts crying), then it will need a re-route which could involve digging in neighbours' gardens: big trouble in some cases.

I live in a row of semi detached houses and have a sewer manhole cover about 2 meteres away from the back wall of our house in our garden (house up stream also comes into this sewer and our access point then goes into the next house garden).

We want to extend our kitchen/dinning area but the drain would be in the way.

What can be done (I wont be doing it myself and will get the builder to do whatever he needs to do) so I know if its possible to do.

Thanks

You need a Buildover Agreement with your local water authority, phone them up and they will explain.

You will need to build over it and have another access point outside of the extension, however this need to satisfy the water authority, this cost me £299 when i had mine done, it involves submitting plans to them and explaining them.

Your builder will need to do the work as shown in your plans.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back