Moving Sewer Inspection Covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just found this website and registered.
Have recently submitted plans for a single-storey extension to the back of our house and want some thoughts on what to do with a manhole cover thats in the way.
Apparently its a Public Sewer and next door have agreed to us putting it on their drive.
Also, next door is at the "head" of the sewer and we join them at this manhole.
Who should we contact to get permission to move the manhole?
(Haven't submitted the plans for Building Regs. yet !)

All help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i could be wrong, but the thing is the cover is an inspection hatch / access point, if you move it you will have to move ALL pipes, since at the point you want to move will be access to all pipes, so if later on in life you "rod" from new point who is to say that rods will not get stuck in the current position.( they no longer have enclosed pipe to guide them)

you may be allowed to dig it all up and change pipes to enclosed pipes (as opposed to having half pipe removed as they are now)

also as you said its a public sewer, the water co may have legal access to it

Any ideas how receptive they are to these requests ?
I'm not sure which company it will be ! We get water from Trent Water, yet I gather the sewers are maintained by Yorkshire Water.
Also, who is likely to do the work, and (silly question) who is likely to foot the bill ?

Sponsored Links
i would have thought if its on your property,YOU will have to pay for it (it is you that wants it moved) and you will have to get a builder to do it.

ask the water company first

It has been suggested that we have two covers.
An internal one (in the downstairs loo !) over the existing one, and an external one (on next doors drive)
This way, access is available to rod the sewer if we're not in, and access directly above the connection if rodding doesn't clear it (assuming we are in !)
Perhaps the simplest way would be to re-route our pipes to a new connection under a cover on the driveway.
The neighbour isn't worried unless he becomes responsible for maintenance of it. As the houses were built circa 1930, I don't see that happening (but then what do i know :confused: )

SamBarn said:
I'm not sure which company it will be ! We get water from Trent Water, yet I gather the sewers are maintained by Yorkshire Water.
The phone number should be on the bills invoice.

As you say, it can be re-routed.

Re-route would be the best option in this instance. We had them recently to look over our public sewer, which also runs from next doors. We came across it as the person who previously owned the property decided to pour a slab of concrete 10 inch thich and slap a sectional garage on it which was the drain.

We have put a new set of drains in and have as you should inspection chambers at every change of direction, this way we have our own drains.

They were going to let us do the work ourselevs but for the water company who did come out stated that it would be a minimum charge of around £500 and we had to pay them fees also for site inspections see ya then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back