building over private sewer single storey extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the planning stages of a single storey side and rear extension. However we have a 6" sewer than runs across and under the proposed footprint. I believe only 1 house feeds in then we feed in then it goes along our boundary then does a right angle behind 5 other houses. We have 2 manholes our intersect and the neighbours halfway down our garden i guess the boundary wasn't quite where they planned them.
Now the odd thing is we don't pay any sewerage charges on our water bill as our sewers discharge into the adjacent prison. Begs the question where we stand with build over arrangements. I could accomdate the existing manhole within our extension by raising it up to new floor level in a tiled top cover. If it came to it I could step extension around it so you would come out backdoor and be standing on manhole. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Options to alter the plan slightly and achieve external IC's is a good one. Internal chambers are a pain.

You will still need a BOA regards the 6" pipe though.

As far as I understand it regulation five states we are exempt from regulations (concerning sewer) as our sewer discharges into the crown sewer her majesty's prison. These sewers will not be adopted by the water supplier. This is why we pay no sewerage charge.Q) If a property owner wishes to build over a sewer or lateral drain after October 2011 and there are not any public sewers illustrated on the map of sewers in the area under consideration for development, what would be the property owner’s position with regards to requirement of building over approval? A) Property owners are legally required to notify the local building control department of building work or works to repair, reconstruct or change the course of a drain or sewer. However there is no current requirement for the building control office to inform customers or Thames Water that a building over agreement may be required where the sewer in question does not appear on the map of sewers. It is the responsibility of property owners to make diligent enquiries to determine whether the drainage in the vicinity of any proposed development will affect property and to seek the approval of the owner or owners of the sewers, or drains that may be present prior to construction.

Sponsored Links
If there is a public sewer within 3m of your proposed works then a build over is required, irrespective of whether its on any maps or not or your foul goes elsewhere and if BC get wind of it they will likely expect a Build over to be administrated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back