building permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's 3 bed semi, the kitchen is a single story extension to the rear of the house.
I would like to extend the roof line to the perimeter wall and fit two roof windows in it, the rest of the structure would be UPVC double glazed on a dforf wall with french doors to the garden.
Can any one tell me if I would need planning permission to do this, if not do I need to produce plans for the local council ??????
Thanks for any help
Andy

Sponsored Links
andy100 said:
Can any one tell me if I would need planning permission to do this

Yes,in simple term,if you're going make another room or extending a room you need planning permission but if you're putting a room in the loft without altering the roof size/structure you will need building permission and not planning.Do a quick drawing and take it down your planning department and they will advise you what to do.

Thanks for your quick response to my question masona,someone has said since if you are not extending beyond the perimeter of the original house ie I am building in what is a dog leg if you like, you don't need planning permission would this be true???

ps It's a bloody good site this for the DIY folks

Up to the point but you're extending your roof with the french door basically another room area.Anything that extending from your property would need permission.A conservatory don't normally need planning permission providing it fit in with their criteria.If you got a good friendly neighbour's without upsetting them then you may get away with it.If you come to sell the house then you may have to put it back how it was as it's not on your house drawing plan.These thing are happening all the times,then you got the building insurance problem

For a piece of mind,cost nothing,pop down to your local planning with a drawing and you don't have to give them your address,then decide what you want to do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Masona
It would be safer and all round to do that.
Cheers Andy

My local council doesn't require permission for extensions under 70 cubic metres. If this is the case, it still might be a good idea to apply for building regs and submit them, it would also make it easier and less hassle when it comes to selling the house.

(My council is Hampshire County Council BTW)

skellem said:
My local council doesn't require permission for extensions under 70 cubic metres.

That's correct,you don't need planning permission providing the volume of the original house would not be increased by more than 15% or 70 cubic metres,which ever is the greatest,then you will need building permission drawing plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back