Building planter boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

Does anybody have any designs/instructions for building planters? I've only got a few small raised beds in the back garden and wanted to utilise the front a bit more.

I was thinking of just using some gravel boards with some 3x3 for the corners and supports at the bottom.

Any pointers would be welcomed!

Sponsored Links
2x2 would suffice if it's not gonna be massive, arris rail offcuts also come in handy for this.

Ok, thanks.

What is the largest length you would recommend? I've got an area of around 2.5 metres long to cover in front of the house. How many should I put in that sort of area?

Cheers

Decking boards might look a bit nicer and are thicker/stronger than gravel boards. Use the ones with one smooth side (facing outwards.)

Support post in each corner and in the middle. If they will be high then you could fix a centre support joining the middle posts together to prevent the weight of the soil from making a bulge. A metal strap as used for fixing wallplates down would work here, fixed below the surface of the soil.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

As for the metal strap, do you mean using it as an angled bracket for support in the corner joints?

Cheers

No the corners will sort themselves out as you'll have a flat face on the corner post to fix in to.
I meant if you make a giant 2.5m long planter, the centre bit might bulge out once you fill it with soil, so a brace at 1.2m joining the front to the back will stop it from spreading. You could use timber for this but if you want it to not be seen then it'll have to go beneath the soil surface, so I think a straight galvanised metal strap will last a bit longer in the damp soil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back