Building quotes - am I being unreasonable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hate to do this but editing my original post as it had more detail than I should have shared.

Essentially muggings here gets architect involved to a set budget for a small extension and some other bits, couple of bathrooms. Quotes are based on the same set of drawings but over 70% apart which seems bonkers but both are above the original brief.

Aside from a moan I'm not really sure what to do next beyond keep getting more quotes.

I'll be speaking to the architect about the quotes but also as they apparently missed that the entire conservatory slab has proper foundations and insulation so we could be using that rather than digging it all up.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
These were not one man band outfits
Maybe they should’ve been.

I personally would get a quote from a builder that organises the work and works on the tools and gets subbies.

If you get a larger outfit in, you are paying for their much higher overheads.

I wouldn’t necessarily trust builder recommends from architects

Yeah, I see what you mean. I will look for more quotes. Gonna pin the architect down on the ppsqm too.

Sponsored Links
The key to getting accurate quotes is a detailed, comprehensive and well specified drawing, schedule of work and specification. Not the usual crap building regs drawings.

These tell the builder what you want and what to price for, not the builder guessing and telling you what he wants to do and what you will get.

The key to getting accurate quotes is a detailed, comprehensive and well specified drawing, schedule of work and specification. Not the usual crap building regs drawings.

These tell the builder what you want and what to price for, not the builder guessing and telling you what he wants to do and what you will get.

Yes, that's what I was expecting and architects drawings, SE calcs, schedule of works etc is what I've spent the best part of £4k on so there shouldn't be any ambiguity. I can't get my head around how there can be a 70% difference in price.

Yes, that's what I was expecting and architects drawings, SE calcs, schedule of works etc is what I've spent the best part of £4k on so there shouldn't be any ambiguity. I can't get my head around how there can be a 70% difference in price.
Have a look on the streets around your area, if you see any extensions going up, make a judgement on the quality of work and cleanliness of the site, then if ok pop in and talk to the builder.

or pop into your local independent builders merchant

The problem with tradesmen in this country is that the best ones have so much work from recommends they never advertise.

Do not go anywhere near any online trade sites, that’s where the cowboys reside

If you have detailed tender documents, then you should be accepting the lowest quote, as all quotes will be based on the same criteria, so the only difference will be the price.

If you have detailed tender documents, then you should be accepting the lowest quote, as all quotes will be based on the same criteria, so the only difference will be the price.

I do have detailed docs. Both quotes are insanely priced. One is more insane than the other. I am seeking other quotes.

I am not sure i'd go with the cheapest in any case. What i've noticed with the responses so far is the devil is in the detail not just of what they say they are doing, but the list of exclusions and assumptions. Some of the items were deliberately left off, then you're into paying for their "ad hoc" fee structure. Seems like a win win for the builders.

Sorry, bit harsh but seriously wondering whether anybody actually does anything themselves these days. This forum was once about how to do things, not just how to get someone else to do it, as most threads are these days.

I don't see any detail in this thread - how much, what for etc. I'm guessing there was previously some detail here that's not any more, so it's hard to discuss meaningfully.

But inflation is high, and the much trumpeted recession hasn't actually arrived yet. Builders are still fairly busy so will quote accordingly. It's unlikely to make financial sense to pay someone else to enlarge your house for you. If you sell immediately after then you won't make a profit, this being possible was merely an anomaly of uncontrolled rising house prices, which has now stopped. So if you want a bigger house then it may cost less to move to one more suitable.

I do have detailed docs. Both quotes are insanely priced. One is more insane than the other. I am seeking other quotes.

I am not sure i'd go with the cheapest in any case. What i've noticed with the responses so far is the devil is in the detail not just of what they say they are doing, but the list of exclusions and assumptions. Some of the items were deliberately left off, then you're into paying for their "ad hoc" fee structure. Seems like a win win for the builders.
There's the problem of builders quotes.

Some builders quote low to be competitive, then as soon as work starts they begin the "oh that's an extra" game.

There are nearly always variations to contract especially unknown extras and builders can never make money if they don't charge for these....the problem is that some builders charge extortionate amounts for extra works.

"Extras" is one of biggest cause of builders/ client fall outs.

My advice: get a builder on recommendation and go see the job + get real feedback of how the process was....not answering the phone, going AWOL, hidden extras, messy site all.causes of upsets

Sorry, bit harsh but seriously wondering whether anybody actually does anything themselves these days. This forum was once about how to do things, not just how to get someone else to do it, as most threads are these days.

I don't see any detail in this thread - how much, what for etc. I'm guessing there was previously some detail here that's not any more, so it's hard to discuss meaningfully.

But inflation is high, and the much trumpeted recession hasn't actually arrived yet. Builders are still fairly busy so will quote accordingly. It's unlikely to make financial sense to pay someone else to enlarge your house for you. If you sell immediately after then you won't make a profit, this being possible was merely an anomaly of uncontrolled rising house prices, which has now stopped. So if you want a bigger house then it may cost less to move to one more suitable.

Yeah no worries. It was more the discrepancy, given the accurate tender drawings and scope of works, in the builder pricing and whether I had any recourse with the architect. I've asked the architect for his "thoughts" on the matter.

I'm a DIYer. I may end up doing a lot of this myself. The quotes are laughable and given the trailing indicators I wouldn't be surprised to see a sharp downturn next year. Who knows. Both of the builders that quoted had both taken their extended families to Orlando on holidays. I should have just ended the conversation right there and then :D.

I'm actually tempted, and just need 'er indoors to agree, to do all the upfront plumbing and CH changes right up to the boiler in prep for converting open vent Y plan to a zoned sealed system. I've had two quotes from "heat geeks" and it was laughable. I think this may be a "me" problem at this stage but again, £6k for a new boiler and install of a unvented cylinder, and neither did a heat loss calc, neither looked at the state of the rads, and one did the flow test wrong. Two different solutions specified - 250l/18kw vs 200l/24kw. So much for the geeks.

PS i know i can't change the boiler itself nor install the cylinder, but I can prep the pipework and pressure test it prior to getting a certified gas safe guy or gal or they/them in.

£300 to move house PMSL! When was that - about 1982? Last time I moved it cost about £11750 inc stamp duty (£7500K) and removals. Searches alone are about £250.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back