Building regs and joist end caps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted this in lofts section but it's relevant here too:

We're in a house that has had part of the loft converted by the previous owners (BC approved). There is a further space that has been started but not finished. I might not even need planning permission as it falls within the overall cubic metre allowance.

I've been looking at building regs and span tables and the joist size and strutting seems to be right but the joists don't have end caps on them into the external wall. I'm wondering if that would be a problem for building control as it would be too big a job to retrofit. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, they look like this. I can't retrofit them so can I do anything else that would do the job? It's to prevent air leakage/timber shrinkage.
View media item 82405

Sponsored Links
You're worrying too much, BC won't give a hoot about such things in a lofty. I've never seen them used or specified them for a loft or had my spec questioned by BC.

Don't know what end caps are?
Tony ,
They are a slightly different design to what you old Manchester boys wear when you go the the working mans club. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Introduced approx 12 years ago and were strongly punted by NHBC to stop heat loss and draughts round joist ends built into inner cavity wall. Never caught on, never made mandatory, but we still mastic round joist ends to comply. If and that is if, we were buiding a one brick wall with joists in, then we would consider there use.
Cooked, served on silver platter and ready to be eaten.
Regards old pi**taker, Snow White. :p :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back