Over notched joist.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had this in woodwork etc, but have moved over. Didn't notice the Building Regs etc section.

Just noticed this morning that my plumber has been a little, shall we say 'over-zealous' in notching a floor joist to run a new pipe. Obviously, mighty peeved.

I haven't had a chance to measure this up yet but he's definitely taken out more than the 1/8th rule and it's too close to the joist end.

Before looking at whether I need to strengthen/reinforce the joist, looking at the Building Regs calcs for floor joists, span etc, the depth of the joist (which is a proper Victorian job and pretty meaty) for the span may actually be above what's required when the depth of the notch is discounted.

If they are, is this an acceptable alternative?

I appreciate that the joists are a hundred years old but there's no degradation I can see. The joist also only supports the first floor stair landing and no internal walls. The only imposed load is when we walk over it.

I know that the centre of a joist is the least affected part in deflection so it's not quite the same but any thoughts much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I you are happy with your calculations and sure it is sound fair enough.
But I'd be thinking along the lines of coach bolting a length of timber across it.

iff we apply common sence here
as you say the joists may be oversized for the span concerned they often are to keep floors level throuout the house

so if we assume you need 7" joists and you have 8" joists then 1/8 off7= 22mm+25=47mm plus you will have a safety margin of say 15%
then you have the fact the load will be distributed over several joists at once so as the undersized joist begins to sag the flooring will load up the surrounding joists until they = equilibrium

i have seen joists half removed and still standing
what span are you talking about what centres and what joist size!!

Thanks for the replies folks.

I didn't have a chance to measure before the usual "run out the door with toast in hand to get to work" but will measure up tonight and revert.

Sponsored Links
just thought i would check you are talking one overly butchered joist and no bath within 3 foot :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back