Replacing joists - subject to building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm after a bit of advice, had a look on the GOV website, but can't find anything really definitive.

our 1850s house has sagging 1st floor joists. A couple are also riddled with woodworm, another has been poorly repaired in the past.

I am looking at stripping the floor back and replacing all the joists.

The original joists are undersized according to current building regs.

Does anyone know if joist replacement is subject to inspection, and if so, will replacement of like for like be acceptable, or will I need to upgrade the joists to meet current spec?

Sponsored Links
Yes as it is a structural alteration technically you would need to apply for Building Control Approval. Yes the joists will need to meet up to date requirements.

Older timbers would be of a higher structural grade (loosely speaking), new codes also require extra safety margins.

So newer timbers will have to be deeper for the same span, alternativly you will have to use a higher grade or closer centers.

Yes as it is a structural alteration technically you would need to apply for Building Control Approval. Yes the joists will need to meet up to date requirements.

I thought works were supposed to leave it no-less compliant?

Sponsored Links
So if the existing floor bounced up and down by an inch or two in the centre of the room do you think the new joists can be equally undersized?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back